mertens have been mating.. help please!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nikole

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My mertens have surprisingly started mating at the age of 2.. Im now in need of advice on the best Egg laying boxes? Also heating for the boxes?
any advice or examples would be greatly appreciated. :)
They have a large hide thats 1200 x 500x 900 deep, filled with dirt/sand and leaf litter. They prefer to sleep in a hollow log though. Also, if it changes things.. i am unable to remove my boy from the enclosure. Thanks alot!
Oh! Should mention they are in a large room style enclosure.

I don't keep Mertens, but I would have thought keeping the male in during laying would be trouble. Monitors have a pretty hungry appetite and some fresh eggs could be potentially eaten, or damaged by the male.

my male left female alone during laying,i just had a nest box close to basking spot so basking area actually heated a portion of nest box

Try putting a divider up or taking the male out and put him in a smaller enclosure when it starts digging like crazy

I remember your thread when you were fitting the room out, but can't remember if you had more than one basking spot. If you do, are you able to separate the two monitors, as Hamish_Noah suggests?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back