Superworms as a staple for BTS and CBDs ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

Banned
Reaction score
My staple live insects for my beardies and bluetonges are medium crickets gutloaded with choi greens, carrot and adult beardie pellets . I give smaller medium crickets to my water skink.

I do give mealworms occasionally as a treat ONLY.

Found somewhere that sell Superworms. Are these OK as an alternative staple (gutloaded with wheatbran and carrot and beardie pellets and freshly dead crickets) or just a good treat (currently giving one or 2 each every 2nd or 3rd day (to my bluetongues and beardies), I take the worm's heads off to make them more palatable for the lizards.

I also offer softened mashed beardie pellets and lizard pellets and grated chopped fresh greens and carrot and sweet potato daily to them all (dusted with Ca daily (and Ca and Vits every 3rd day)).

Guidence using superworms as a food would be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Superworms are great as a staple, but it is nice to give some variety also so that the fat to protein ratio stays balanced out.
For adult dragons, I usually recommend no more than 35 or so of giving just superworms, but if you mix superworms along with
other feeders like crickets, roaches, etc then 50 or so feeders is acceptable.
I have never owned a blue tongue before, but they have a relatively slow metabolism from what I understand so I would limit
the amount of supers to 30 or so weekly for adults then supplement some more with a leaner source like crickets, etc.
The pellets, greens & sweet potatoes are perfectly fine.
How old are your beardies & blue tongues?

Tracie

hi Tracey ,
They are 2x BTS and 2x CBD are all coming up on their 3rd winter. I think I've got one each in both species , but I've not allowed the beardies to breed, don't have an incubator, my boy got very frustrated this spring , and the girl seemed to really tease him.

These are all getting up to 10 medium - large crickets per day (to 70 per week , each) , sounds like mine are very well fed. When I give supers , each super counts for 2 -3 crickets.

Last edited:
How much should I be feeding two 15 month bearded dragons per day. Only got them this past weekend. I have been giving them carrot, lettuce, grapes, pellets, mealworms, crickets. What other sort of things can I feed? (yes, I have be googling) Are superworms better than the mealworms?

dont feed mealworms, Feed vegies and crickets, Use superworms as a treat

I was advised to avoid using mealworms for other than treats.
So I rarely give mealworms to my BTs and CBDs, my water skink gets mealworm pupae and beetles (when they are soft and white) and occasionally a mealworm (she LOVES mealworms !!!), for all my lizards the staple is gut loaded and dusted crickets (2/3 size and bigger for the big lizards, and smaller to 2/3 size for the water skink).
I've settled on one or 2 supers per BT or beardie every 2nd or 3rd day along with their crickets.

I have read that superworms are better than mealworms. Some breeders sware by superworms for their beardies.
I'm not so sure so am restricting the use of superworms as more of treat.

I plan trying silkworms when they come back into season for my lizards, from what I've read they are by a long stretch the best staple insect you can give to lizards, but I'll have to find someone who has a mulberry tree first.

Last edited:
yeah that sounds good. I personally feed vegies, crickets and woodies as a treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back