Heating problems

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh0203

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, if got a Spotted python about 10 weeks old. If got a terrarium 900x45x60.I am reaching temperatures at 26 degrees max. I have read that it should be around 31 degrees. I am using a 50w heat lamp with a 18w 2.0 uv light. Would getting a heat mat help me reach the correct temperatures. If so what size would be the best to use. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Josh

Hi Josh, for your Spotty the ideal temp would be 32-34 deg, where are you taking your temp from as you should be getting way more than 26 deg under a 50w heat lamp, get rid of the UV light as it is not needed for Spotties as they along with most Pythons are nocturnal, what is your heat gradient like from the hot end to the cool end. A pic of your setup might help us see what you are doing and make it easier to help you, sometimes a heat mat/cord can help but check to see if your thermostat is working properly before you go getting to far ahead of yourself. :) ..............................Ron

Hey Ron I am getting my temp from the thermostat and a infrared thermometer and they are roughly the same. So I'm pretty sure the thermostat is working correctly. Also In the pic the thermostat thermometer is in the middle of the tank but I quickly realized it was in the wrong place and put it to the left side if the tank when putting it all together. The heat is usually 26 on the hot side and 24.5 on the cold side.

db7d5fe9e76abd58df5b4a06b0a98131.jpg

Try Sticking foam sheets to back and sides to insulate terrarium. I run a UV Heat lamp with black heads which raises ambient air temp which they needed as the heat mat didn't cut the grade by a long shot but bare in mind that's a different snake with most likely different requirements. Not sure of whats required for spotteds but I'd start with the foam first as glass looses heat rapidly, second if I'm correct the lid is all mesh - If the foam doesn't make sufficient difference look at restricting some loss of heat through top. A lot of people don't like glass tanks due to the poor heat retension but it's a personal preference if set up adequately. I like the fact my tanks provide a random temperature fluctuation of a few degrees during winter but will be moving snakes to melamine enclosures down the track as I can make them to specific sizes. These are just my opinions based on my own experiences.

glass tanks are not suitable for pythons,......too much heat loss...grab a click clack and put it on a heat matt until it is older .you will have a much happier spotted.A bearded dragon would be ideal for that enclosure

Wow, that is enormous for a baby spotted! That aside, is that enclosure with the kind of lid you can out bulbs inside? If so, I would recommend putting the heat lamp inside the tank,with a protective cage, a lot of energy gets lost going through the glass or mesh top. And the heat source is so far away from anywhere your python can get to. In an enclosure this size for a hatchy I would provide a hot hide (about 32-34) right under the lamp, then one still in the warm end but not in the direct beam so at about 28 and a third cooler hide. Hatchlings prioritise hiding over thermoregulation often so if they can feel secure across the whole thermal gradient they will be much happier to move to a necessary zone.
If you can't mount the heat lamp inside definitely up the wattage of the light and add a heat matt under the hide on its own thermostat.
Hope this is on some help :)

Yes I was thinking it was a big tank for my Spotted. I was just going off what the lady at the pet store said. I think she just wanted to get more money out of me lol. I will have a look to see if I can mount a heat lamp inside the tank. If not do you think a 100w heat lamp do the trick?

Ah yes, the old up sell trick :) honestly, that size would suit an adult breeding pair of spotteds. I'm home at the moment and all the tanks here have bulbs inside, in about 1/2 hour I'll be at my partners where we have one on top and I'll check out that bulb and heat spot and let you know. I'll try load a pic of our current spotteds home too, she's about the same age as yours.

- - - Updated - - -

DSC_4631.jpgDSC_4630.jpg
Here we go, the second tank has a pair of stimmies, same age.
Heat mat under back half of both tanks, thermostat set at 31 with 2 degree variation.. I believe the spotted is currently up in the log about 24degrees. When she's cold she'll make her way back to the hot floor hide. Water bowl is completely off the heat.

Alrighty, it's a 600mm glass tank. 150w Phillips heat lamp and it struggles to keep ambient above 24 (it is ouraoutside). Hot spot is 170mm from lid/light and 41 lessening to 28 and the edges. I'd still recommend putting the light inside with a cage though

OK sweet as. I'll definitely get the light inside the tank. Will I still need to put foam around the outside of the tank or will it be enough heat inside with the light inside the tank?

Lights inside are a Def winner, just don't forget a cage, pythons have a habit of wrapping around a heat bulb when it is off and getting burnt at they warm up again.
What the temp around the tank? I would think in brissy you should be right. Can always throw a towel or blanket over it at night too.

It's around 20 at night. Might just chuck a blanket over at night. That seems like the easiest way :)

I have mounted a heat lamp inside the tank today and I was reaching 30.8 max. If upgrade to a 75w lamp and it is working perfectly. It's easily reaching 32. Again, thanks guys for your help! :)

Hi Josh,
Thank you for posting your question as it has helped me also. Your vivarium is the exact same one that I was sold for my blonde spotted python! He is a bit over 7 months now and I have been having the same problems as you with heat retention even in the Brissie autumn weather! I have a 100w heat lamp and recently purchased a heat mat which has helped a bit. Under belly heat in warm end 29.8 and air temperature is 28.9 warm end, 26.4 cool end at 7.30pm. Basking temp on his branch under the lamp is at 32 C, but he has to climb for that and yes he does get up at night when he chooses. Last night for the first time after his dinner and under his own volition, he went to his other hide at the cool end of his house for a cool down. Tonight I have laid a towel over some of the mesh at the top. Our house is a cold house, all tiles and glass doors that stay partlly open onto a deck, other pets come in and out during the night. Thinking of getting a 150w heat lamp for when the weather gets cooler, or move the vivarium to a smaller room that has carpet and I can close the door... any comments and suggestions would be helpful. Thanks again Josh, and everyone who posted.

Hi Ollie, is it possible for you also to mount the heat bulb inside the vivarium? I know it involves a few extra fittings (ceramic e27 holder and cage) but the effectiveness is sooo much better. You could back your bulb back to a 75 probably then

Thank you Smurf, mounting heat bulb inside cage is my next weekend project.. In the interim I have had to do take some interim measures because I came home from work this arv and the temp at the hot end was only 23.3 :shock: so I have put the 150w on the cage to try and generate some heat, also towel at other end to retain it. I am really ticked off as I have spent so much money on housing and have bought the same bloody vivarium for my woma python that is arriving tomorrow... listening to so called experts at pet shops eh?...Not happy Jan :evil:. I have the Woma's house in a small room, with carpet and a door I can close and it seems to retain the heat a lot better, reaching 32 to 34 C at the warm end. I am going to move my spotty into this room too and also upgrade and mount the heat bulb inside both their vivariums... All I can say is you live and you learn. Thanks again for your post. Cheers...

You've encountered pretty much the number one reason for never buying from a pet store.
Next time choose a breeder with a good reputation, as theyre usually more than happy to pass on advice as well.
As for housing, search the net, here, youtube ect. for a good idea of what each type of snake needs and what is the best, most efficient type of housing for each.
Woma's are a terrestrial species and a bit of research would have let you know this and realized a tall glass enclosure was fairly innapropriete for one. Not having a go at you, but as you've said, mistakes like this end up in a lot of wasted $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back