Suspected neglect

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimik

Reaction score
Hi there,

I need help. I know someone who has a diamondback python. He is probably over a metre in length and has the circumference slightly less than a tennis ball at his fattest spot. The problem is I don't thin that this guy is taking care of it properly. I've never owned a snake and i joined in order to ask this question. There is no water bowl in the enclosure, it is the same enclosure that the snake has had for the past several years. When it defecates, it is left for a good while before I clean it up. I haven't ever seen him create a humid environment for when it is shedding. He never really pays attention to it. No bond, nothing. I just don't think it's right for a creature that relies on a human for its needs, to not be receiving. I'm just not sure if I'm being sensitive about it or if my gut is right and this snake is not being cared for optimally. I'd appreciate any advice on this.

As -Peter says, a pic would help, but first up, good on your for caring enough to ask the question.

You say it's a "diamondback". Presumably you mean a diamond python? If so, you also say it has been kept like this for several years and is only "over a metre in length". How much over? A diamond python of this age should be reasonably sizeable - up around 2m. But the circumference, being slightly less than a tennis ball, is ok for the sort of length you seem to be describing.

Re water, do you know how often there is water bowl in there, because if the snake has lived there for that long, the owner must be providing it with some moisture.

More info needed - esp a pic.

S

As -Peter says, a pic would help, but first up, good on your for caring enough to ask the question.

You say it's a "diamondback". Presumably you mean a diamond python? If so, you also say it has been kept like this for several years and is only "over a metre in length". How much over? A diamond python of this age should be reasonably sizeable - up around 2m. But the circumference, being slightly less than a tennis ball, is ok for the sort of length you seem to be describing.

Re water, do you know how often there is water bowl in there, because if the snake has lived there for that long, the owner must be providing it with some moisture.

More info needed - esp a pic.

S

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, he's a diamond python. Gorgeous too. Apparently he's been in this enclosure since he was a baby, so he hasn't changed the size of the thing with the snakes growth - not sure about when it is appropriate to do this. The enclosure is about 1.3m tall and about 70- 80 cm wide with a depth of 40cm. He does have a water bowl, but everytime i checked it, it is empty. Pretty much the past year, i've been the one cleaning him and leaving water in the bowl. I even give him warm baths while gently dab drying him with a cloth. I've spoken to my housemate about it several times, he says that they are opportunistic water drinkers in the wild and don't necessarily need water available. I can't take a pic yet but I'll try to tomorrow if he's not home. (he's home right now). I just don't think this is good enough. Especially because when i clean him, he smells like his poop. Not nice.

I'll post a pic when i can. Thanks guys

your mate sounds like a really good animal owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back