Jungle won't keep food down.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JungleBoots

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys first post here and unfortunately not a positive one.

I have a 16 month old jungle python which I've owned since a hatchling.
She's been a strong feeder since day one without any issues until recently. She's been taking full grown mice for a while now. Since December she has only managed to keep 2 feeds down, she vomits 1-2 days after taking the feed. I've been trying to feed her every 2 weeks after monitoring temps etc, thermometer always around 30-31 with her body temp around 33, but she just can't keep it down. I've had her at the vets who gave her a worming solution? The vet seemed to think her weight was healthy and she looked in good condition. I tried dropping the feed size as advised by the vet no luck there either.

I moved her from a click clack to a bigger enclosure around the end of November last year, which is heated via a 100w ceramic heat emitter. I have trellis hanging from the top that she can lay on under the heat, with a hide to the left, temps seem fine to me. I've tried moving her back to the click clack for a few weeks over a heat mat with no success, I'm lost at what to try next. She hasn't shed in almost 3 months. The only thing that is obvious is the enclosure change, maybe the damage has been done?

Here is a picture of the feed after she has vomited.
IMAG1930_1.jpg
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I haven't had this happen with mine, but I'm just wondering how far down she gets the mouse when she eats? I have a jungle about the same age, his feed sits about 1/2 way along his length as it's digested, and sometimes the poop os only 2 days after. Given that the mouse looks relatively in tact still I'm wondering if she is getting it right down to her stomach?

It always sits about halfway down. Can't see it clearly but the neck upwards of the mouse looks like it started to be digested. I have a spotted python too but he hasn't had any issues at all same food.

Can be caused by stress.
Could be due to the new enclosure or maybe the location of the enclosure.
Is it located in a high traffic area? Can you move the enclosure to a quiet, low traffic area then let the snake settle for a few weeks before offering food again?

As scary as it must seem to you to have your snake doing this try not to stress to much, remember snakes especially pythons can go several months without food with no problem.
I have a very annoying young eastern brown that does similar to this at times (mainly when the temperature starts to cool off). What I have found to work is increase the temperature of the basking spot and give smaller food items. If yours is eating adult mice try it out on hopper mice or even pinkie to fuzzy rats. I would also suggest increasing the basking temperature to around 34 degrees.
Another big thing that could be causing it to regurgitate is stress as Pauls_Pyhtons has suggested. How much cover have you provided in the new set up? As Pauls mentioned is it in an area that has high amounts of traffic? How often do you handle the snake as well?
Cheers Cameron

As scary as it must seem to you to have your snake doing this try not to stress to much, remember snakes especially pythons can go several months without food with no problem.
I have a very annoying young eastern brown that does similar to this at times (mainly when the temperature starts to cool off). What I have found to work is increase the temperature of the basking spot and give smaller food items. If yours is eating adult mice try it out on hopper mice or even pinkie to fuzzy rats. I would also suggest increasing the basking temperature to around 34 degrees.
Another big thing that could be causing it to regurgitate is stress as Pauls_Pyhtons has suggested. How much cover have you provided in the new set up? As Pauls mentioned is it in an area that has high amounts of traffic? How often do you handle the snake as well?
Cheers Cameron

Cameron & Paul

The enclosure is in the same spot as where the click clack was with minimal disturbances. We have even been away for 12 days, so no disturbance at all besides a water change. I have also covered the front with a towel to minimize disturbance from movement and light of a night have done for months now. when my thermometer reads 32, my temp gun is saying she is at 35-36 seems a bit high to me.

I haven't handled her in months maybe once in Jan. she's getting some darker streaks on her back as if she is going to shed but never does. I've pretty much ruled out mites as there doesn't seem to be evidence of any, and my other snake is fine, and feeding like a champ.

Cheers.

Don't worry about measuring her temp, she has a much better idea as to what temperature she needs to be at than you. Just make sure you have an adequate basking spot around 32-35 degrees and a cool end that she can retreat to to cool down when needed. She can sort out her temp herself as long as you give her the options.
Would you be able to get a picture of her enclosure so we can see what she is in at all? Also consider trying different foods like rats or quails and see if she keeps them down. Could be that she just doesn't want to digest mice anymore. Some snakes are just frustrating like that.
Cheers Cameron

If they eat them, they're not going to "decide" selectively not to digest mice a few days down the track. I would say it's either temp related, or there may be an obstruction in the digestive tract. I would carefully palpate the region from about the stomach down, and failing anything being obvious, suggest an xray to the vet. But first, try upping the temps - your measuring devices may not be accurate by quite a few degrees - this is quite common.

Jamie

Update,
I upped the temps as suggested and gave her a weaner on Sunday evening. This morning just before I left for work I had a look into the enclosure and noticed her stretching/tensing along the bottom side from her neck down. I've seen this before the first time she brought the mouse back up. This time I watched, she started twisting right up quite violently until she basically power chucked liquid and the sloppy weaner mouse up, it was actually quite disturbing. I'll attach some pictures of the set up and what she looked like, maybe hard to see because of the infared lighting. uploadfromtaptalk1431994006331.jpguploadfromtaptalk1431994060181.jpguploadfromtaptalk1431994080960.jpg

Last edited:
probably caused by stress. Also bump the heat up a few degrees. Maybe use a heatmat insted of lights for heat?

It was up around 35c I have the front of the enclosure covered with a towel, and have also previously had her in another enclosure with heat cord with no luck

Last edited:
A couple of suggestions,
- try her on smaller feeds
- if you get your feeds from the same person, perhaps get it elsewhere to see if theres any difference
- change to rats

Hope she eats soon =)
Dan

Check the temperature in case you measuring device is incorrect. Is she "chasing" the heat?
If she has been on mice since birth I would stick with mice until the digestion problem is solved- One less variable!
Is there a blockage in the digestive tract?- xray and palpate.
Have the mice changed by consuming new feed or medication to which the snake is allergic. 2 days is about when the mouse guts are digested and exposed to the snake in the digestive process.-change the source of mice.

I had a similar problem with my Coastal 18 months ago. Everyone said it was the temp settings too low. I took him to the vet in Penrith. He injected steroids and antibiotics. My snake has not had any problems since. He gave me a sheet with reasons for regurgitation in reptiles. I will try and find it and post it for you.
i would take the snake to a good vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back