Injured Murray Short Neck

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dezza09

Reaction score
Our Turtle escaped the sunning cage we have for him and fell off our patio head first causing his shell to cut the top of his head.

Still very lively and alert he was taken straight to the vet and given antibiotics to inject, saline to rinse the wound and told to keep him out of water for a week.
I have him in a dry tank with a heat mat underneath to keep him warm and twice a day am putting him into a shallow tub of water, enough for him to cover his mouth and nose in order to hydrate him.

I was wondering about feeding as I know turtles can only eat while under water, and while the vet did the best he could, reptiles are not his specialty.

The wound is looking a lot better after a day, but there's some swelling around one eye which I'm hoping the antibiotics will take care of.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

How old is the turtle? I personally wouldn't worry about feeding it for the week if it wasn't very young. The hydration is important though.

He's about 7 years old
doing well but really lethargic, hoping that's from the antibiotics
the wound is healing well and we've been giving him dips in his tank to allow him to completely rehydrate, he's had no interest in food.
hes got another dose of antibiotic tomorrow and then I'll take him back to the vets for another check up on Tuesday

Sounds to me like the vet is spot on, and so is mummabear re food and hydration.
Heat mat might not be a great idea, a little warmth is good but perhaps a little gap between heat mat and the bottom of the tub.
Andrew

Last edited:
I know with beardies you can also use gatorade that has been watered down to help with rehydration. Maybe it could work with a turtle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back