Blue tongue skink feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BasiliskTV

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am looking into getting a blue tongue skink but first I am doing my research and I have a question about feeding, I just want to know what to feed them and how often

Last edited:
Also would something along the lines of this be a good weekly schedule?

- feed 3 times a week

Monday- insects (cockroaches & worms)

Wednesday- blue tongue diet (I will make with lean meat, veggies and small amounts of fruit)

Friday- veggies and small amount of fruit

Treats- pinky mice, banana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As babies : 3 x per day = insects (worms and crickets all dusted and gutloaded as many as they want each time) + greens + green veg (raw) + grated carrot and sweet potato offered mixed with moistened juv beardie pellets and vetfarm pellets (with a few drops of sugar free juice).

As adults ; same as my adult CBDs , see above only bigger crickets once daily as many as they want.

Currently trying superworms as a treat for CBDs and EBTS and they seem to like them.

I'm hesitant about offering pinkies (high fat and wrong proteins).

I only offer mealworms as treats.

I also only offer egg (hard boiled) to my EBTS as an occasional treat on vet's advice ,same for banana even though they love these. When we have fresh berries my skinks (bluetongues and water skink) and beardies always get some.

I sometimes boil some raw lean chicken mince again as a treat.

I'd be very hesitant about offering canned cat or dog food - high fat wrong proteins and loads of nasty chemicals and preservatives in them. Even though wild skinks will raid cat and dog bowls.

I caught some garden snails and kept them in cool dark place and fed them up with greens and kitchen veg pealings for 2 weeks and they loved them, but I soon ran out of snails in my garden.

All the above is just what I do , I am not very experienced with keeping lizards (only 5 years in the hobby), but this is what I was advised by my vet and the breeders who sold my pet lizards.
The breeder if he's worth his salt will give you advise on what to feed and how often and heating regime, bedding, and UV needed. But I can't suggest strongly enough that you do your homework and be fully prepared before bringing home any lizard.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your information! Although when there adults I didn't think you had to them everyday, I have read online from many different sources to feed adults every second day?

Never had a problem feeding dog and cat food to bts. Don't feed veggies either to adults or babies. May put in some calcium from time to time. Just my opinion.

We feed our girl (well we think girl) Honey good quality canned dog food once a week or so and my boyfriend loves digging up earth worms for her about once a week as well but most of her diet is veggies like sweet corn, carrots, peas, broccoli, etc. We usually use the snap frozen veggies because they keep so well but she gets fresh tomatoes from out garden and we have a crop of bok choy and spinach coming at the moment that she will get a bit of as well. I also offered her a couple of zucchini blossoms from the garden yesterday and she absolutely loved them
Occasionally I will mix a raw egg through her veggies which she seems to love but always needs a bath afterwards because she makes such a mess with it.
She absolutely LOVES fresh strawberries, rock melon and water melon but she only gets them as treats now and then.

We got Honey when I was around 10 and tomorrow is my 25th birthday and she is still going strong so we must be doing something right

EDIT:
Oh I forgot to add she gets feed every other day but more often than not I catch my boyfriend sneaking her tomatoes and other little bits and pieces almost everyday

Thanks for your input! going off everyone's information, When I get one I'll feed it veggies an meat once every two days, and maybe a few treats every now and then.

Good luck with your new Bluey when you get it.
They are awesome little(ish) lizards :)

Good luck with your new Bluey when you get it.
They are awesome little(ish) lizards :)
excellent 1st pet lizard IMO.

May I suggest you get one about 6 - 8 weeks old , so you can be sure it's not had it's life shortened by getting bad food for a long time before you adopted it/bought it.

Baby and juvenile BTs are much more active and very much more entertaining to interact with and watch than your laid back adults.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back