Arafura File Snake Tank

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

uromastyx

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a rather weird question but I have kept fish for years and wanted to buy one of these file snakes and give them a go. I have a six foot tank with a 4 inch turtle at the moment. Anyone have any idea as to the compatibility of the file snake and a turtle with soo much room?
Or would this be too risky to even try?
Please excuse me if this sounds ridiculous.

File snakes feed almost exclusively on fish, so turtles are not usually on the menu. They are nocturnal foragers, so whilst the turtle and snake are active at different times, the turtle may be vulnerable at night while it sleeps. File snakes are constrictors, so even though the snake may not swallow the turtle it may constrict it.
The turtle may also get stressed by living with a file snake.
So even though it may be unlikely that the file snake eats the turtle, I personally wouldn't risk enclosing the two together.

What turtle do you have, would the temps be compatible, then there is what Bushman noted and on top of that a number of turtle species like to nibble other tank tenants. I wouldn't do it.

Thanks heaps for that Bushman. I have a saw back turtle. I definitely dont think it is worth the risk even with that much space. cheers

Saw Back Turtle!!
While Saw Shell Turtles might live in the same waterways (up north) as File Snakes, it is a different story in the relative confines of tank...even a six footer.
File snakes get pretty big, dopey out of the water but pretty slick in it.
I agree with the other guys.
Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back