Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alexbee

Hey Guys

Im having a debate with a friend... What type of Aussie python do you think has the worst bite? Post pics if you have them........

The one that just bit you. However I have had a bite and wrap up from my 8 foot bredli and there was a lot of blood involved. All of it mine. About 80 holes in a couple of fingers

Interesting question. First thing that comes to mind is the definition of "worst". To use the term worst u could throw a blanket over a number of different interpretations of worst. For example the one that hurts the most? The one that drew the most blood? The one that doesnt let go? The one that causes the most damage? The one that just bites and lets go as compared to one that is just happy to gnaw away at the tag spot.

A worst bite can be interpreted in so many different ways. U might want to pinpoint exactly what u mean by worst.

No doubt about the answer, whatever criterion you chose as "worst." A bite from a decent sized Scrub Python will do very significant damage, and in at least one instance, a Scrubby has killed its keeper in this country. They have a slender forebody which gives them a long reach, are very watchful and alert, and have probably the strongest teeth of any Australian python. They are potentially very dangerous animals and are not snakes for beginners.

Jamie

Maybe the GTP too. They have the longest teeth for aussie pythons

I though rough scaled pythons did Beans...

Yep, you're right Alexbee - Roughy teeth are like fish bones, but are very fine. They have proportionately the longest teeth of any python.

Jamie

Scrub, people have had lacerations, nerve damage, tendon damage etc. One series of bites got reported to the poic eas the hospital emergency staff thought they were most likely from a machette attack.

Ask Joemal he will tell ya as he has a scrubby and an olive

Yep, you're right Alexbee - Roughy teeth are like fish bones, but are very fine. They have proportionately the longest teeth of any python.

Jamie

Oh true, I thought it was the GTP. I didn't even think about the roughie xD

Apologies. I didn't mean to use harsh language to describe the bite in the photo thread. Maybe "SOB" would have been a better abbreviation for describing the bite. Any reason the photo link for furthering the discussion was not acceptable? I am aware it was to another reptile board, but the purpose was to show a reticulated python bite and no negative connotation was implied.

The author of that post had good info to all of those keeping larger constrictors.

Either way I respect the rules and if it's not acceptable I apologize.

Regards and have a pleasant day

Gio

Last edited:
Lots of keepers underestimate the dangers of keeping and handling large constrictors, especially the big six. We think that because they're not venomous and often very tractable and easy to handle (except for their weight which can often get to 100kg +) that they are not especially dangerous. A big constrictor, however, can deliver a very damaging bite and wrap and drop the careless keeper in an instant, and if that keeper is alone, he will die before he can call for help, whereas if bitten by a ven, the keeper usually has time to call for help and can take steps to minimise the damage caused by envenomation.

When handling any constrictor (python) over around 3m, you should always have someone else around to assist if things literally get out of hand. We always become complacent about safety with animals which are usually docile, but factors of which we may be unaware can change animal behaviour very quickly.

Jamie

for their size. GTP and Roughy.

in general i think any big snake like a scrubby or a big carpet snake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back