Lace Monitor Xrays, Why you dont mess with a Lacie..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yogi

Reaction score
Hello,
After reading a few posts recently of people wanting big monitors, I thought I would post some xrays of a lace monitor head just to give people an idea of what hides inside.

20140929_162756.jpg
20140929_162811.jpg
20140929_162825.jpg

sorry for the poor quality its a photo of the xray screen.

Cheers Jacob

P.S dont mess with a Lacie

20140929_162825.jpg20140929_162811.jpg20140929_162756.jpg

What's the story behind this? It looks like it's wrapped in wire fencing.

This is one of my rehab lacies found on the side of the road with maggots in the nostrils. It had clearly had a head knock. Xrays showed seen the the second xray though hard to see one the poor quality a crack in the skull over the brain. After a longish rehab and alot of treatment it was realised strong and healthy.

Cheers Jacob

Got some formidable teeth in their mouths, with a business end I wouldn't want to be bitten by. I prefer to admire them from a safe distance and to let them go about their business without my interacting with or interfering with them ( I sometimes see people tossing food to them at picnic grounds - a recipy for disaster IMO ).

Would love a monitor as a pet one day , A SMALLER species , not a Lacie --- they're too much lizard for me and I'd be scared of it taking a piece out me or even worse out of wife or grandchildren BY MISTAKE.

I'll stick with skinks and dragons I think.

you wouldn't happen to have a xray of the pelvis area. im getting mine xrayed this year to determine sex.

Nice :) My male tristis would like to think he's a lacie wrapped in a smaller body....

What's the story behind this? It looks like it's wrapped in wire fencing.
I think that may be the hyoid process you're referring to Bushie, used to help prey items down the throat when swallowing. Here's a few more, again a rehab hit by a car.

Attachments

• Lace Monitor Lateral03 [1600x1200].jpg
    Lace Monitor Lateral03 [1600x1200].jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 171
  • Lace Monitor Lateral02 [1600x1200].jpg
    Lace Monitor Lateral02 [1600x1200].jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 163
  • Lace Monitor.jpg
    Lace Monitor.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 164
Hi Yogi,

Very cool images! Would you mind if I shared these x-ray photos on another site, properly sourced to you of course?

Cheers

All good with me they are incredible animals

Cheers Jacob

This is one of my rehab lacies found on the side of the road with maggots in the nostrils. It had clearly had a head knock. Xrays showed seen the the second xray though hard to see one the poor quality a crack in the skull over the brain. After a longish rehab and alot of treatment it was realised strong and healthy.

Cheers Jacob
Thanks for telling us the story behind this casualty Jacob. I think I can see the crack in the skull. Is it the diagonal fracture towards the back of the skull?
It's good to hear that it recovered well and was released strong and healthy. Good job!
Thanks for posting the x-rays up. 8)

I think that may be the hyoid process you're referring to Bushie, used to help prey items down the throat when swallowing. Here's a few more, again a rehab hit by a car.
Thanks for explaining that and for posting more pics. It's very interesting.
Just out of interest, what damage are we looking at in that specimen, if any?

Last edited:
Apologies for the hijack, Yogi, that was "Boris" from a few years ago, he was brain injured after being hit by a car. Broken/ dislocated lower jaw and damage to the skull near the eye socket. Here's a before and after.

Attachments

• LR Headshot 002 [1600x1200].JPG
    LR Headshot 002 [1600x1200].JPG
    938 KB · Views: 123
  • Borry 002 [1600x1200].JPG
    Borry 002 [1600x1200].JPG
    726.1 KB · Views: 130
  • Borry 004 [1600x1200].JPG
    Borry 004 [1600x1200].JPG
    466.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Rehab Lacie-3 005 [1600x1200].jpg
    Rehab Lacie-3 005 [1600x1200].jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Rehab Lacie 006 [1600x1200].jpg
    Rehab Lacie 006 [1600x1200].jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 124
  • Rehab Lacie-3 001 [1600x1200].JPG
    Rehab Lacie-3 001 [1600x1200].JPG
    493.6 KB · Views: 133
Makes me kida scared because i was no more than a meter away from one i found about 1.5 meters

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They certainly are not something to mess with. Here is a photo of a lace monitor skull that I took last year during a zoology practical.
20141023_103757.jpg
Cheers Cameron

... that was "Boris" from a few years ago, he was brain injured after being hit by a car. Broken/ dislocated lower jaw and damage to the skull near the eye socket. Here's a before and after.
Thanks for detailing the damage and for posting those pics. He suffered significant injuries.
Did he make a full recovery?

Thanks for detailing the damage and for posting those pics. He suffered significant injuries.
Did he make a full recovery?

Not strictly speaking, definite brain injury, loss of sight and hearing, although he could see at least partially out of one eye. I would have euthed as release back into the wild was a no go, but I thought he still had some quality of life so he's now part on an educational display in QLD.

Attachments

• aus%20zoo%20046.jpg
    aus%20zoo%20046.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 196
  • cairns%20030.jpg
    cairns%20030.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 85
Now that is what I call one mean mother! Great pics. Shows their awesome biting ability really well.

A lot of people do not understand the way a monitor?s biting mechanism works or appreciate the severity of the damage that just one grab from a powerfully built individual can inflict.

Most lizard jaws operate like a pair of scissors with one pivot point. The initial pressure this can exert is very high, as the total force is concentrated on a small area of contact between the object and the jaws. As the jaws close, the area of contact increases and the pressure decreases. This is why you see lizards repeatedly chewing at food while throwing it back into the angle of the jaws each time - each 'new' bite allows high pressure to be exerted again. This is particularly effective for cutting or crushing. Monitors, on the other hand, have an entirely different biting mechanism.

The jaws of a monitor operate like a double pivot pair of tongs or grabbers where the jaws remain parallel to each other as they close. This means that all the monitor?s teeth penetrate simultaneously (instead of back ones first). The teeth themselves are shark-like, with a pointed triangular shape for penetrating and very sharp serrated edges for slicing. Mother Nature invented the steak knife before humans did. Instead of ?chewing? when they feed, monitors bite down and hold on, while using their long, muscular necks to pull the head backwards, forcibly drawing their teeth through the flesh. They will often hold food items with their forelimbs to facilitate this. As a result of this technique, each tooth, in turn, is drawn across the same spot. With the passage of each successive tooth that spot is sliced a little deeper in exactly the same way the teeth on a handsaw cut into timber. It is the number of teeth and length of the saw stroke, rather than the pressure applied, that contributes most to the depth of the cut produced. The long straight jaw and associated teeth of monitors (like a saw blade), along with their long flexible necks, capable of pulling the head back along the entire length of the bite, make them very effective at slicing deeply. They are able to slice through tendons, ligaments and even bone to some degree. This explains why powerful individuals are able to produce very deep and damaging lacerations, which bleed profusely, with just one grab.

You can see just how much muscle the Lacie possesses by the amount of bone surface there is for muscle attachment on the lower jaw and the neck vertebrae. The size of the jaw muscles is also indicated by the size of the bone curves at the side of the skull, just behind the eye socket, where the muscles operating the jaws pass through from the lower jaw to attach to the roof of the skull. The mandible itself is strongly built, indicative of the size of the forces it is designed to withstand when the jaw muscles are in operation (it is not a weight-bearing bone).

Here?s a pic from another thread that clearly illustrates the damage that Lace Monitors can do... https://aussiepythons.com/forum/showthread.php/170641-Wild-Monitor?p=2047445#post2047445

I hope you find the mechanics behind it as fascinating as I do.
Blue

PS I assume the fracture is what can be seen right across the frontal bone?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not strictly speaking, definite brain injury, loss of sight and hearing, although he could see at least partially out of one eye. I would have euthed as release back into the wild was a no go, but I thought he still had some quality of life so he's now part on an educational display in QLD.
Yep, definitely not fit to be released then, despite being as tough as they are. It's good to hear that he was so well cared.

Blue, that's an interesting description of the mechanics of their bite and anatomy. It makes you think.

@ Bushman, in the thread with the photo of the Lacie bite there is a link to a photo of a bite from a Storr?s monitor: http://www.pbase.com/gehyra/image/49479132, that I reckon really highlights the effectiveness of a monitor bite in slicing through flesh. This resulted from a lizard the same size as a Pygmy Mulga and half the size of an Ackie. It?s enough to give one nightmares about what a large Lacie could really do to you if it was in full feeding mode and had a clear shot...

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back