Jungle Handling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironmind91

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Ive had my female Jungle (Sharon) for a week now, she's great, handles well (i think)

She still hasn't bitten me yet, although the first couple of days she certainly tried!

I handle her every afternoon for about half a hour, then put her back in, when she will let me, and leave her until the next afternoon. Now my question is, is this too much? it doesn't bother her at all from what I can tell, I just don't want to stress her out. Also when I'm handling her she will climb all over me and all the normal stuff, but then she will pause and stare at me. Either my face, or yesterday it was my leg. What is she doing exactly? haha. Its fine and all, but its a little unsettling when she is staring strait at my face. Ill attach some photos for anyone interested. Thanks a lot everyone!

IMG_0614.JPG
IMG_0612.jpg
IMG_0615.jpg

Yes it's too much handling.Wait until it gets into a good feeding routine with you around 5/6 feeds without issue before bothering to handle.Plenty of time for that later.

Awesome thanks for the feedback guys. Appreciate it :) with feeding her, the breeder I got her off said once every second week. What do you think? Stick with that? She will be getting 1 weaner mice

Personally, if she's happy to come out, go for it! The more you do it, the more "used to it" they'll be. We handled our jungle every day for almost a year, which has him conditioned (not trained) to accept it. I don't think I'd like the thought trying to get him out if he wasn't conditioned and hadn't been handled for 2 weeks.

In saying all that, every python is different, so it all comes down to reading whether they're interested in coming out, and if so, knowing when they've had enough.

I say keep at it and enjoy it :)

P.S. We never handled after feeding. i.e.. fed Sunday, didn't handle til Tuesday...

It comes down to the python in question. If its feeding well, and willing to come out then go for it. All pythons you get should be feeding well anyway. And seeing as yours is, there isn't really much of an issue.

I did the very same thing with my 3 snakes and they are a dream to handle, never an issue feeding.

Of course give it a few days after a feed that's a no brainier.

All this being said, this is a forum and there are many opinions and ways of doing things. So between the whole "get her into a routine" and "If shes already feeding well and settled go for it" it really comes down to your choice. But either way is completely fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back