Ceramic Heat Emitter Problem

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tevez

Reaction score
Hi there guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew much about ceramic heat emitters. I currently got a "Zoo Med Reptilecare Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter 150W" as my Reptile one infrared 150W heat globe recently died after two weeks of use. I was told ceramic lamps are much more durable and come with a 2 year warranty which sold me on them considering the price difference. I installed the ceramic lamp yesterday and have found that the heat produced seems very low compared to my old heat globe.

If i place my hand just a foot away from the lamp the air is barely warm and even just a couple centimetres away from the actual lamp its only a few degrees warmer than air temperature. I would assume there wouldn't be such a difference in heat between ceramics and heat globes. Is the ceramic heat emitter I have faulty or have I done something incorrect?

Its starting to get quite cool in sydney and am not sure if my heat mat will be sufficient to keep my diamond python warm (Currently hot area on ground is 30-32 degrees, however just a couple centimetres above the substrate and its down to 26-28)

Thanks for any help you guys could give.

P.S: I simply installed the ceramic in the same socket I had my globe (socket is ceramic so shouldn't have an issue of melting with high temperatures).

I'm pretty sure this also happened to me after i switched. I think i solved it by just turning the thermostat up.

Ceramics raise the ambient temperature while I'm sure infared heats a basking spot.

Can you provide pictures of your setup?

Infrared also raise ambient temp as they radiate heat. I am curious though if you run a 150w infrared globe then replace with a 150w ceramic heat emitter and the temperature is lower and requires increasing the thermostat wouldn't that indicate that the CHE is less efficient? I understand the pro's are they last longer but given current electricity prices it throws in an often unforseen factor when weighing up which road to take. A footnote in regards to infrared, I found that adding a hood to my tank with rear vents reduced cold air flow over the globe which often extended the life of the globe to 3 months or more. Occasionally I get 1 that blows quicker but this can be either just luck of the draw or down to the shaking from the snake curling and hanging from around the cage that surrounds it. I've considered the CHE but the cons outweigh the pros for me personally so far but that's just a personal choice, I like the fact that walking past the tank I can visually see a globe out.
Note: my setup is in a fish tank hence the problem with cold air over hot bulb issue which along with excessive heat loss resulted in fitting a vented hood. A picture of your setup can help as mentioned in the previous post.

Last edited:
If it is a diamond python then don't stress out too much. As long as the heatmat is working good. If you really want to bump the temps up use a basking bulb (in the day) and use the Che at night. Get a bigger one if it isn't doing the job or just turn up the thermostat setting.

View attachment 314642Hopefully this pic comes out right, last time I tried to post pictures they didn't work. Enclosure is roughly 150cm tall by 60cm wide by 40cm deep. Recently built it and still trying to figure out how to decorate it and make the branches for him to climb more stable. The highest branch is about 45cm from the lamp.

I currently do not have a thermostat for the lamp as I was just planning on having it run constantly as I was planning it to have the same strength as the old globe I used (would get about 30-33 degrees at the top of the highest branch). I do have a thermostat for the heat mat which is located under a plastic mat located under the substrate (heard its not safe to have the snake in direct contact with heat mat as it can burn itself). I have a thermometer checking that the thermostat is at the same temperature, one to check the cool areas temperature and a really cheap one checking ambient temperature which seems pretty inaccurate.

Im also not sure if I have too many air holes which could be lowering the overall temperature. Near the top of the enclosure I've drilled 9 3mm holes on each left and right side of the enclosure. The tank is also located near my garden door which at times makes the overall room quite cold.

PS: Snake is roughly 8 months old, have been told at early ages they should have fairly hot overall temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back