Common tree snake help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzie1995

Reaction score
I recently bought a common tree snake (Dendrelaphis punctulata) two weeks ago she is about 1.2 meters and have been having trouble getting her to regularly feed on fish. She was previously feeding on fish well with past owner.

I left her for the first week in peace without touching her to help her settle (she spent the whole time in her hide not coming out to the hot spot). I have found she still is reluctant to come out of her hide to warm up and climb.
I managed to get her to eat one uncoloured goldfish three days ago but her complete lack of interest in food has me a bit worried since they are regular feeders.

Tank has a hot spot at 29.4 degrees and cool spot at 22.1. Tank dimensions are 1.2m high x 1.2m long x 60cm deep. Has two hides in the enclosure. Using a 5UVB globe and a ceramic heater as heat source. Humidity ranges from 50-60% depending on time of day.

I have left the fish in the tank overnight in hope that she grabs one in the morning while I'm asleep but no luck. Im aware pythons can go for months without food but these snakes are nothing like pythons in their feeding due to the much faster metabolism so does anyone have any suggestions on how to entice her to eat?

Attachments

• 11117715_10204005147152629_162606279_n.jpg
    11117715_10204005147152629_162606279_n.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 175
Just a thought as I am not familiar with their needs etc but could she be in shed at the moment? My snakes (Mac and Darwin) stay out of sight and won't touch food until they have shed and that can take up to two weeks.

Last edited:
Bump the basking spot up to 32-35 degrees and then leave it alone. The weather is starting to cool down as we head for winter so it is most likely starting to burmate. It is quiet easy to stress out tree snakes so try to limit handling and interaction with it for a while to let it settle in and get used to everything. Its not coming out of the hide much as its still not sure if its safe or not. The more you muck around with it the longer it will take for it to settle in and get used to everything.
Just leave the feeder fish in the bowl for as long as they are still alive. The longer the fish are in the bowl the better of a chance the tree snake will come down and eat them. Remember common tree snakes are diurnal so leaving stuff overnight generally won't work. Don't stress to much with the metabolism either as they can still go a month or so fine not eating. If it is starting to burmate the snakes metabolism will slow down as well.
Cheers Cameron

Alright thanks for the feedback :), fairly sure she isn't in a shed colours are very vibrant and eyes are not milky.

I had a CTS for a brief period and she would get stressed very easily and go off food just like that... it took her a long time to settle in, and if someone startled her she'd sometimes go into hiding for days. She's probably just stressed out, give her a bit more time...

If you're sure she's not in shed (sometimes they do surprise you), you can try catching a gecko and scenting a thawed pinkie with it, and leave it in a position partly visible from the hide. I know they say it's hard to get them to eat pinkies but it worked the first time for me so it might be worth a shot... If I placed the pinkie strategically so it looked a bit lizardy (tail pointing towards the hide) I'd find it gone in the morning :) And once she ate the pinky it seemed to kick start her prey drive and she'd start eating the fish again. Oh and one thing I noticed is that the more fish were in the tank the more active they were, which caught her interest.

Hope she starts eating soon! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I just read baker's post and agree with everything about letting her settle, actually! Less stress = faster adapting :)

Ive had my male for years now, and he still spends most of his time in his hide! Although he does venture out when he thinks no-one is around. But very flighty and will retreat back to the hid when you wakl in the room.

My female on the otherhand comes out to almost say hellooo!!

Male, like your descibing took forever to feed. Try whacking them around the head and see if they strike out of aggression and hang onto it, be very still. Sometimes I have to wiggle the pinky around on his back slapping him while hes in the hide to get him to grab it.

Female will launch her self out the door to grab one. Leave the fish in a shallow water bowl and giver her some peace and quiet. let her see it splashing around, hopefully not jumping out at teh same time...lol and then work your way up. Once they are taking them from the tong's, you can work up to scented pinkys and then its a whole other saga...lol

Good luck

First of all, don't worry. If it was eating before, it'll eat again. A change of environment will often stress them out - particularly if originally wild-caught - but food will always win out in the end. A CTS in good condition can go two months without food, if they have to, particularly in winter.

As Tigerlily said, put multiple fish in the bowl as it encourages movement, which attracts the snake.

As Bowdnboy suggests, females will typically be the more aggressive feeder and ultimately less timid. How sure are you of its sex?

Some other questions ...
- What type of CTS? Eastern (green, blue, black) or golden?
- What state do you live in?
- Are you dropping temperatures at night?
- Can you post a photo?

Im sorry guys, dont know much about colubrids but i think i read somewhere about goldfish not being a good prey item due to some toxicity or something? Would someone confirm or am i completely off on the wrong track. Hoping to own my first colubrid soon, soo finding this helpful guys :)

Just a note - that's BRUMATE, not burmate. Sorry to be a smarty pants.

Jamie

Hey sorry i forgot about this thread, Just thought i would update you all. She has come out of hiding and is out every day now rarely in her hide. Feeding roughly twice a week. As far as the goldfish being toxic that is true in that they contain thiaminase which blocks B1 absorption but this can be countered with varying their diet :) She is a blue phase with some green in her. Live in Vic. And yes dropping temps at night. Think i have a new favourite reptile now.
11356044_10204174651230125_607005017_n.jpg11356145_10204174651270126_1763369799_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back