Tips on overweight juvenile carpets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doonta

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone im just wondering if anybody could help me on some tips on how to tell if a juvenile jungle carpet could be overweight? I have checked out some detailed threads but havent found anything on the younger smaller pythons so im not even too sure if they can be classed as overweight. Im mainly after tips for my python which is about 2ft long and almost 5 months old, just really dont want to have any adverse effects from trying to be good. Any help is appreciated thanks.

Juvies don't tend to ever be overweight. They just grow quicker.

Agreed! Juvenile snakes are on the menu of a large range of other animals and therefore are faced with the challenge of avoiding being eaten while they grow big enough to provide a refuge from predation. Obviously the quicker they can do this, the better. This is why young snakes are geared for rapid growth. Basically the more they eat, the faster they grow. Hence the reason you don?t get overweight juveniles.

As they approach mature size, however, their growth rate slows markedly and excess food can be stored as fatty tissue. At this point their feeding regime should reflect that with a shift from being growth oriented to more of a maintenance diet. Healthy body condition should be a desired outcome at this stage. The following post describes how to assess body condition... https://aussiepythons.com/forum/showthread.php/207598-undersized-coastal?p=2387031#post2387031

Blue

You worry too much.

Jamie
I will agree with that yet i think we can agree worrying more then none at all is better no?
thanks to the people who were helpful and hopefully some other future people may find this helpful as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back