Lace monitor feeding scedule

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pirateherpss

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Im in need of an Lace monitors feeding schedule/ dietary requirements...

I have a few questions that need to be answered...

+ What would be a recommended feeding schedule for a lace monitor?.. based on feeds for the week
- This is how things are running for my lacey at the moment: Every second day about 5 chicken necks. 1-2 decent sized rats once a week. The random eggs. Is this a good diet for him? how can I improve this? Do I need to be feeding everyday?.. Even though it is getting cooler. He still never turns away from a feed.

+ What foods should a lace monitors diet include?
-
Is it okay for a laceys diet to only include, eggs, chicken necks, rats. How often should they be fed a whole animal?

+ Should the lace monitor each as much as possible each feed? (like a bearded dragon smashing crickets?)

If anyone could give me advice on this topic that would be awesome. Ive done plenty of research yet still cant find the exact answers to my questions. THANKS ALL! Excited to see the advice that more experienced monitor keepers have.. CHEERS!

As was suggested earlier, cut down or eliminate the chicken necks, and increase the whole rodents. I guess you're conscious of the much greater cost of rodents compared to chicken necks, but you need to accept that big monitors are an expensive proposition if you are keeping them indoors over winter, given their need for great heat during their activity periods, and significant food requirements. If I recall, the animal was fairly emaciated when you got it, so a good feed every second day would be quite sufficient. Although they cause stinky poo, maybe you can get hold of a few kilos of day-old chicks - they're generally much cheaper than rodents, but you should still supply several whole rodents a week.

Jamie

Whole food items would be my reccomendations.... Rats, chickens, quails or Rabbits etc. I feed my small lacies & spencers every second day, and as they start getting bigger I drop it to every 3-4 days with larger feeds... Don't skimp on quality or use cheap off cuts as an alternative to whole prey items as it will be detrimental to the animals health long term, and I'm sure that you'd want the best for the monitor itself... My advice would be to check out a local hatchery and see if you can get any bulk deals on day old chicks (little roosters- as they aren't required in the numbers for breeding and are often sold to be blended up for dog & cat food) so you can pick them up cheaply)... Or look into a breeding set up and breed your own food sources (costs a bit at first but once you establish a good little colony, you can either feed your own animals fairly well for not too much in costs, or sell/ swap for larger food items...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back