Temperature Control

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MishkaMoo

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to this! I got my hypo bredli a few days ago and he has settled into his new home nicely, but I'm in the process of building his big forever home.

My question is that basically I want to run two heat globes (night/day) on a Thermostat/timer set up. Is there a unit that will do this, or do I need to rethink this through? I'd like to set it up and during the night hours, the night globe does its thing and during the day, the day globe is in use maintaining temperatures.

Thank you!! :)

My lights are on a electronic timer (on at 6am, off at 9:30pm).
My heat pads run 24/7 and each in on simple thermostat (set to 38oC for the beardies, 32oC for the skinks).

I would suggest a heat mat connected to a thermostat. Also I would use a basking lamp During the day probably 100w-150w and if needed A CHE for night time ambient warmth. The basking lamp I would not connect to a thermostat but the CHE I would.

i use a normal light on a timer i got from bunnings and a habistat pulse proportional thermostat for my heat panel on the ceiling of the enclosure

Awesome guys! Thanks heaps, so heat lights on a normal timer and just put the heat mat on a Thermostat?

Do you have the heat mat in the viv or under it? I have it under the current one and it doesn't seem to heat the tank much, I'm getting a bigger viv (60x45x50) on Tuesday, so thinking about getting the exo terra hood that has three globes in it? Atm he's in a smaller (30x30x30) with a single heat globe in the hood but the temp seems to sit around 29/31 depending on room temp. Which I realise isn't warm enough, hence the focus on heating questions. :)

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, he's still only a baby just under 2 months old. :)

Last edited:
My heat pads are sandwiched between ceramic tiles and are inside the enclosures.

Helps even out the temperature and variations in temperature over time , and prevents direct contact of the llzards' tummies with the pad .,Makes for a very simple set up.

My thermostats cost me about $10 each on Ebay and I've not had any issues with them. I've tried one of those fancy combined thermostat timer gadgets and it was a bugger to get working in such a manner that it wasn't alarming all the time. I think you should follow (KISS) Keep It Simple Stupid approach and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
An adult snakes doesn't need night time heat, ditch the idea and just run one daytime heat source.

He's not an adult yet, he's only 2months old. Also, even when he does reach adulthood, our temps often get into the minuses overnight in winter... That wouldn't be good for him, surely?

- - - Updated - - -

I hadn't thought of putting in inbetween tiles, I might try that first. At the moment I have a Thermostat from ebay and it seems to do the tric, so I might just keep that one on the mat and put the lights on normal timers?

I'd suggest run everything on thermostats. Or you may end up overheating or worse cooking him if he can't cool himself down.

He's not an adult yet, he's only 2months old. Also, even when he does reach adulthood, our temps often get into the minuses overnight in winter... That wouldn't be good for him, surely?

For when it is an adult, as you said this was an enclosure for when it's older. But if the temps overnight regularly get into the minuses(which you hadn't mentioned) - even indoors - then yes you will need constant heating. As other have suggested either a CHE on a timer and thermo, or a heatpad for overnight temps would be good options.

Thank you! Yep, the one I'm building is for when he's older, but I was having issues with his heating atm as well, so I'm also looking to change the heating in his current viv as well... Sorry for the confusion, I managed to confuse myself as well. :/

The measurements you mentioned 60 x 40 etc is that cm or inches?

My Bredli is 2.6m long at 2 yrs and 1 month
Ive fed her lots but still.
I just thought i would mention they can get bigger then a 60 x 40cm tank will house.

Cm's :)

It's an exoterra one, if that makes any difference.

My Bredli is 2.6m long at 2 yrs and 1 month
Ive fed her lots but still.
I just thought i would mention they can get bigger then a 60 x 40cm tank will house.

Yep! The one I'm putting him in NOW is 60x40cms, which I need to heat, but I reckon I've got it sorted now.

THEN I'm building a bigger one, which will be his forever home. The original question was in regards to the bigger one I'm building; but then I had issues with heating in the viv he's in now. So I started trying to apply what people had told me to that and confused everyone (including myself).

But I am really grateful for everyone's advice and suggestions. I'm new to this and really want to do whats right by him and keep him happy and healthy.

When you say you feed her lots, can I ask how often? At the moment mine has been having two pinky rats every 5days, but now I've got fuzzy rats, so was just going to give him one of them. Is that going to be ok?

Never more then once in 7 days,
But 2 rats at a time, each time i jumped up a size i fed her one for 2 weeks, then back to two at a time.
Kept the rats the same size as her stomach, Or smaller.
Never bigger then her girth.

This is what i was told to do if i wanted a big snake. From her Breeder.
its not exactly cheap.
but the end result is i have a big beautiful Bredli.

I should mention im no expert, im only relaying my personal experience with my girl.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back