Snake newbie!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmeh

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently moved to Melbourne and have decided to get a python. I have had lots of different reptiles before, but never a snake. I have done some research and would really love a gammon ranges or a murray darling carpet python, but I am wondering what you guys think of them as a first snake? I'd also love it if you can give me any advice on their care or enclosures for them (I'd ideally want a yearling!).

Great choice. Young snakes can be quite snappy, but soon they become amazing handlers. They grow to about 2m, so an enclosure 120cmx60cmx60cm. Keep them as you would most pythons. Heat mat on one side of tank for thermoregulation and heat lamp on top of tank. Feed mice/rats depending on size once a week or two. Other than that, straightforward and enjoyable

Definitely use a very sealed enclosure (with vents) as they can squeeze through the smallest gabs that you think may be impossible.. eg. between the overlap gap of the sliding glass screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back