Heating enclosure cool side

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePup

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I know the general recommendation for most pythons (children's in this case) is to heat the warm end to around 32, which should form a gradient to about 26 at the cool end. The new enclosure I've done up, pictured below, has a 100w ceramic in the warm end, which struggles to hit 30 degrees. The cool end is about 20.

What are peoples thoughts on heat cord on the cool end, about 50%, set to about 26 degrees. Theory being this should raise the ambient, giving the ceramic the ability to hit 32 up the warm end. In addition, I'd likely just run the ceramic during the day, leaving the cord to keep a 26 degree night temp. Thoughts? Photo of enclosure is below (yeah, it's a little rough, I'm a computer tech, not a carpenter.. Grey bag was to raise thermometer in that corner.). I'd likely just tape the cord down under the fake grass.

DSC_0498.jpg

Y don't u knock together a basic wooden hide so the top surface is closer to the heat.then throw ya original hide ontop, tht might be enough to bump up th basking temp to what u want. I never heat my cold side.the snake can always move to whr it wants for the heat it needs.U can also drill a hole through the sides and feed the probes through them. wouldn't use tape even if it's under fake grass. Don't forget to cage tht heat source

I didn't really want to get too much closer to the source... How close is too close? Plus that doesn't really solve the cold side temp issue, nor the 100w lamp running 24/7 issue. This whole thing is considerably harder to heat than I expected :? I've got material for a cage ready to go, read the recent horror story on that front. :( well install when I get temps sorted. There is a hole around back for the probe too, it was just there for testing purposes. Cheers.

I have a cage on my ceramic heat emitter and then a shelf 10-15 cm below that for some of my snakes. Works well I get a heated area around 32 degrees. The rest of the enclosure is ambient temperature.

I don't worry about any heating for the cool side.as long as my snakes have a hot spot that's all I worry about. They can move to wherever they want to. even in the middle of winter they will hide over the cool end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back