Jungle Mood Change

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironmind91

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, Im getting some great advice and help from a awesome member on here, but I thought id put this up to see what you all think.

Sharon is about a year and a half old, and I've had her for about a month. Everything was great, she was taming nicely, then all of a sudden she decides to turn into Satan?s little sister. She has always not liked coming out very much but once I got her out within a minute she is fine. Well since Tuesday, if I get her out, its a one way ticket to tagvill.

Now I had the thermostat sensor a bit far away from the heat lamp, and when I took her out to feed (again bitting and lunging for my face while she was in her tub) I checked the temps and they were at 37 hot and cold end was about 29. So she ate like a champ like she always does, then the second its down, turns her attention back to me. I haven't gone near her since. She also is yet to shed and I can't tell if she is or not. No change in eye clarity or anything.

So can someone tell me what the hell is her problem? to go from being a lady to a complete b&%$h instantly has me puzzled. also she never comes down from the top of her tank, its her favourite spot but she hasn't been near any of her hides either.

I have no idea what to do. I want to leave her alone but at the same time I want to get her out and keep working on taming her.
IMG_0742.jpg

My snake did the same. First day he was an absolute angel. Second day, it was like if you let a three year old play Call of Duty. He was crazy! I eventually tracked down the source of the problem to my cat sitting on the cage when no one was around! Now I close the door when I'm away and he's fine. If you don't have a pet, maybe a change in something makes her mad. Bleach to jewelry can have a similar affect on picky pythons.

BTW- A snakes enclosure should be 30-32 degrees C on the hot end, and 26-27 on the other. Maybe you've just got it on too high.

I've adjusted the temps so they are in the right parameters. I think you might be on to something there, I handle her after work so maybe I smell different some how. I'm going to get her out this afternoon and see how I go. Thanks for the info man

So I just went to get her out, I took the kid off her tank, and then stopped. I have no idea why, maybe she put some doubt or fear in the back of my mind, but I know the second I touch her, she's going to lose her **** like she does. So I closed her tank and have left her alone. Maybe I'll try tomorrow or something. It's so hard to get a read on her.

If you're nervous, maybe get her out with a snake hook, and handle her from there. How big is she?

I am already using a hook and she is well over a metre. I just went up to use my temp gun and she struck at the cage

We had a similar issue with a jungle. It used to be very cage defensive but now it has been moved to a bigger enclosure it seems to have calmed.
To take it out of the enclosure, I would use a hook in one hand to get the snake out, and I would cover my other hand with a towel or pillow case. If the snake didn't see the hand coming it wouldn't strike. Now this snake was okay once away from the enclosure. I don't know if yours will settle once its out.

Well, considering the size, this will definitely be tough, but if you directly approach your hand and don't flinch when you get bitten, the snake will realize that biting doesn't accomplish anything. As Leasdraco mentioned, using a pillowcase would work and it would achieve the same goal, but the snake may get it's fangs stuck in the fibers. I used to do that to my snake when it went into a mood.

The snake won't realise that biting doesn't accomplish anything - you are dealing with an entity that doesn't reason the same way humans do. You need to understand that Jungle Carpets are often very pugnacious, that's just the way they are. You probably chose a jungle because they are attractive, as many beginners do, but many of them come with personalities that are not amenable to handling. That may be the way it remains for a while, but it can change overnight. Likewise, it can also go back to being pugnacious overnight.

Looks like you have a metal mesh on the roof of your enclosure. You need to remove any mesh or wire netting because if the snake gets the wanders, as they often do when breeding season comes around, the mesh will act like a cheese grater on the nose of the snake. It also lets most of the heat escape from the enclosure - not efficient for the animal, and expensive for you.

Jamie

See that's the thing, she has never liked coming out, but once she's out she never wants to go back in haha. I knew what I was getting into getting a Jungle. I just don't think I was prepared for how intimidating she is when she is in a mood. I guess I just need to get the concrete out and harden up. What should I replace the mesh with? I bought the tank at pet barn so I thought it would be perfect for her. I guess that, like most things I got from that joint, was a bad choice. Any ideas on what I should replace the mesh with? And where to get it?

You should remove the mesh,and replace it with something solid - ply or particleboard to reduce the convectional heat loss, and add some commercial plastic wall or cupboard vents in the back or sides of the enclosure - you can get these from Bunnings, "Haron" is the brand I've used in the past. Just cut the aperture to the size specified and clip in, and secure with a couple of small screws.

You should get a more stable temperature if you block in the top, and this may possible stabilise the behaviour of your animal. No guarantees though... it is a Jungle after all.

One observation I would make, and this goes for many pythons basking on perches - this is the natural ambush position for pythons on many occasions - they set themselves up on branches above a rat-run or similar to strike down at their unsuspecting prey as it passes. This allows them to pull the prey item up and away from any damaging substrate, and anything which might afford a foothold for the unfortunate food item, giving the snake unfettered control at this critical and dangerous time for the snake. So they may always be more inclined to strike from this position.

You could try a low-wattage heat cord sandwiched between two ceramic tiles to provide a warm ground-based source of belly heat (this is just as satisfactory for pythons as radiant heat from an overhead source) to see if the behaviour is less threatening.

Jamie

You probably chose a jungle because they are attractive, as many beginners do, but many of them come with personalities that are not amenable to handling. That may be the way it remains for a while, but it can change overnight. Likewise, it can also go back to being pugnacious overnight.
Jamie
Looks like the pet store told the truth then. They told me to steer clear of them for that reason...

She's back to normal yayyyyy. I don't know what changed, but she is a angel again. On the whole stay away from Jungles thing, I'd rather put up with a moody Jungle then get something else, even now. I'm not put off for a second. Oh and no, I didn't just rush out and go "ohh look at the pretty snake I want one" it took me 2 years of
tossing up which snake to get, and Jungles win hands down in every aspect. Thank you so much for everyone's replies. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it guys.

Is that your snake in your photo? What is he/she? Man I got told to keep away from everyone I spoke to about them, and thought looooong and hard and thought you know what? F$&k it. Best thing I could have done. Apart from her recent mood swing, she is the perfect snake. Anyone can handle her and she is fine. My mum had her on top of her head and everything haha. She actually is hard to get her off you when it's time to go back in :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back