Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Herpo

Reaction score
Just a question. I'm thinking of getting a black headed python, but I'm not sure of:
1. Are they able to be kept with a class 1 licence?
2. Their temperament. I don't mind if it's food oriented amd gives out feeding bites, but is it aggressive?
3. General husbandry tips.
Thanks in advance...

Dunno about what class, I'm in QLD, look it up on the npws website.

As for temperament, my one seems to have a lot more personality than my morelia. I think they are smarter too. He makes a lot of noise and sudden movements but its all bluff. He's a lot more active than my other snakes too.

They like to burrow so make sure anything heavy is on the floor on the enclosure not sitting on the substrate in case they dig under it.

House them alone as they are reptile feeders and the chance of them eating their tankmates is a lot greater than it is for other snakes.

Depending on what substrate you use you may need to check the water bowl for substrate as they move the contents of their enclosure round a lot.

They are a lot more expensive than a lot of other snakes, starting at around $450 for a baby. As a comparison I picked up my 4 year old coastal carpet off gumtree for $70

I just checked, and luckily they are a class one reptile. :)

They sound really cool. Infact, the only thing putting me off at the moment is the price...

Look at a woma, another of the Aspidites genus with the BHP. Cheaper in price and a really nice snake.
I actually considered them, but I didn't find any for sale in my area. :(

BHPS are great and except for the food response you mentioned, they seem to be a very calm and placed python to handle. I've not had them for very long but love them already and am completely addicted!

It always comes down to the individual but other keepers who have bhps have mentioned similar things to me.

I wouldn't be put off by the price - just save a couple more weeks. Better reward for your hard earned money to get the species you want rather than settling for a second place species when you'll only end up with a bhp later anyway ;)

Uhhhh. You guys a tearing me up here. Hahaha... The price is really the only major turnoff...

Everything everyone above has said.

I started out with a woma when I really wanted a BHP as well because of the price tag. Traded the woma for an Olive, and later down the path finally got a BHP... Loved the BHP so much it made me miss the Woma, so I got another one hahaha.
Experience of owning an Aspidite is sooo different to Morelia, completely unique personalities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back