Buyer Beware

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prof_Moreliarty

Reaction score
Hi all just noticed somebody on a certain classifieds website is selling albino Ball Pythons..

for those people not in the know this is either.

A. an illegal sale as ball pythons are banned in Aus

B. A scam

either way id steer well clear..

Several GTP ads there too from the same seller but in different locations, all looks a bit suss

Yeah saw those didn't look at ad though alarm bells should always be ringing when title says cheap GTP's ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Ha ad's have been taken down now.

I can just imagine the seller stumbling across this post...
The look on his face would've been priceless...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ball pythons illegal in Aus? That's interesting, I never knew. How come? They are mega popular and fairly harmless in the Northern Hemisphere, is this a fear of species invasion?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ball pythons illegal in Aus? That's interesting, I never knew. How come? They are mega popular and fairly harmless in the Northern Hemisphere, is this a fear of species invasion?

Pretty well exactly that. Being exotic, if they were to get into the Australian habitat, where they would thrive, they would destroy a lot of our native animals. Mind you, it is legal to keep a cat outside to free roam and destroy what they wish and we have exotic fish to be kept that, if released, would do a lot of damage. There is already a few cichlids in Australian waterways, along with the European carp, doing a lot of damage. Than you have all the feral mammals. We have enough Australian species of reptile to choose from.

Invasive species are already a massive problem in Aus just look up cane toads foxes feral pigs etc. also I don't know if you've heard of the Lacey act but it is slowly killing the snake trade in America and probably won't be long before ball pythons get added to the list which already includes Burmese pythons and retics apparently boas will be the next species added.

Pretty well exactly that. Being exotic, if they were to get into the Australian habitat, where they would thrive, they would destroy a lot of our native animals. Mind you, it is legal to keep a cat outside to free roam and destroy what they wish and we have exotic fish to be kept that, if released, would do a lot of damage. There is already a few cichlids in Australian waterways, along with the European carp, doing a lot of damage. Than you have all the feral mammals. We have enough Australian species of reptile to choose from.

True enough, though perhaps not all environments would suit the ball python. Perhaps one day the government will add a really high tier license for states allowing exotics for people with heaps of experience without requiring a zoo.

Bredli

- - - Updated - - -

Invasive species are already a massive problem in Aus just look up cane toads foxes feral pigs etc. also I don't know if you've heard of the Lacey act but it is slowly killing the snake trade in America and probably won't be long before ball pythons get added to the list which already includes Burmese pythons and retics apparently boas will be the next species added.

Yeah... In my opinion I think the Lacey act is kinda annoying and a bit unfair but I think I see why they are doing it, no matter whether it is necessarily the right thing (because we don't want the Everglades incident all over again). Adding Ball pythons would be stupid though. They wouldn't really survive in the American habitat and that would pretty much ban all reptile shows in America. It would be even more stupid to add corn snakes though. They are native to America! No by the way I'm not American
Honestly I think the Lacey act is killing the reptile industry.
But I think there was this one organisation that wanted to destroy the pet industry Brian Barczyk did a video on it

Bredli

- - - Updated - - -

And also with the ball python ad... That is stupid and wrong. By the way it is probably a stalker ad(ad which knows what you want and where you are and wants to scam you) so report it if you can.

Bredli

True enough, though perhaps not all environments would suit the ball python. Perhaps one day the government will add a really high tier license for states allowing exotics for people with heaps of experience without requiring a zoo.

Bredli

They're native to Africa, around 90% of Australia nearly mirrors the climate and habitat of Africa. We're lucky in this country, we have just about every bit of climate and terrain known to man. You have put up a good idea, but I don't see it happening for a long time. Just about every introduced specie, excluding a Polar bear, would thrive somewhere in Australia.

They're native to Africa, around 90% of Australia nearly mirrors the climate and habitat of Africa. We're lucky in this country, we have just about every bit of climate and terrain known to man. You have put up a good idea, but I don't see it happening for a long time. Just about every introduced specie, excluding a Polar bear, would thrive somewhere in Australia.

True, but I said some of them. I mean deserts and dry schlerophyl etc.
Maybe in the wet schlerophyl and rain forests they might. I agree though, and out of curiosity does anyone know about the red eared slider issue in Aus.?

Bredli

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah... In my opinion I think the Lacey act is kinda annoying and a bit unfair but I think I see why they are doing it, no matter whether it is necessarily the right thing (because we don't want the Everglades incident all over again). Adding Ball pythons would be stupid though. They wouldn't really survive in the American habitat and that would pretty much ban all reptile shows in America. It would be even more stupid to add corn snakes though. They are native to America! No by the way I'm not American
Honestly I think the Lacey act is killing the reptile industry.
But I think there was this one organisation that wanted to destroy the pet industry Brian Barczyk did a video on it.Bredli

The Lacey act amendments only covered 4 reptiles, the large constrictors(Northern & Southern Retic, Burmese and Yellow Anaconda) to prevent future Everglades type incidents(by restricting the possibility of humans setting up large scale populations which could escape.)
It's hardly going to destroy the reptile trade in the US given all the other species they have.

USARK recently won an injunction against the Lacey Act, USFWS will appeal, but with the new judge residing, USARK will most likely win the case and the Lacey act amendments will be torn up.

If you're going to poo poo other countries laws(even if they are stupid) please stay up to date and informed as to whats going on before making broad statements...

I was aware of the new deal with the Lacey act, I wouldn't have thought that a royal/ball would be a big threat, they are poor feeders at the best of times and would make good food for predators already established in the outback, that being said I'm no fan of balls, I find them quite boring, carpets on the other hand are awesome!

Even if they didn't do well in the wild (ball pythons) they would quickly adapt to ensure they do survive

Why beans- how could they adapt if the are not suitable to the environment.

Why beans- how could they adapt if the are not suitable to the environment.

Last year, early January I was herping out Camden way in NSW, lifted a sheet of tin and found a corn snake which had just ate something. Don't know if it was a recent escapee or not but I took it home and it died in September 14'. In saying that I believe there are many more escapee/releasee exotics throughout Australia. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to adapt to some of our many enviroments.

It's been decades and nothing has really happend with exotic populations. well, besides red eareds and escapees.

it would take some fool living in a rural area and breeding them in huge numbers of burms etc or maybe boas up north and releasing them. i really hope no genius does that.

Last edited:
Did they ever find that Boa released by the cops in SE Qld a couple of months ago?

Jamie

ads like this always pop up. The amount of exotics going around has always been huge.

My point was that if they are not suitable to the environment then how could they survive long enough to adapt. Reality is that P. regius just like Pantherophis are adaptable and do present a risk.

Well LMAO when you look at the whole scenario here (Australia) the Government at different levels (IS RESPONSIBLE) for 99.9% of the invasive species here paricularly here in Queensland, fairdinkum they would get a good price for their brains as they haven't had much use. ~B~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back