Green tree python localities and hybrids

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newts

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have no experience in this area, but I was wondering what the legalities in Australia are on the Indonesian localities of green tree python?

I am aware it is illegal to import any reptiles from another country (not trying to go into the debate of whether this is reasonable or not in the case of GTPs), but I have occasionally seen advertisements for Indonesian locale GTPs and I am not sure how this works.

Were enough individuals brought into Australia at some stage before the current laws that locality lines were able to be maintained?

On a similar note, I am sure I have also seen a few advertisements for hybrids (eg M. bredli x M. spilota) which I also thought were illegal. Is it legal in some states perhaps? (I doubt it). Or is it maybe an error in the advertised species name? Since thinking that, I just realised RDU seems to have bredli listed as a subspecies of M. spilota whereas as far as I know, M. bredli is its own species. So that is probably where I got the impression that hybrids were being sold.

Still, just to confirm, interspecies hybrids are illegal in Australia, correct?

Any insight or contribution is much appreciated.

Thanks!

The New Guinea locale GTPs are still smuggled into Australia - the long-ago prohibition on the import of reptiles from OS didn't halt the temptation to smuggle snakes which were, at the time, worth $10,000+ each. I'd be very surprised if the traffic has ceased altogether. Those breeding them or offering them for sale are simply more bold than they were in past years, given that breeding has become much more routine since Greg Maxwell and others pioneered and published the techniques.

AS far as breeding the various species/subspecies, especially of Morelia, all states have their own rules and regulations. Some are punitive - WA, SA and maybe Qld, others more relaxed about it. The practice has basically buggered the genetic base of captive Carpets. M. bredli is still regarded by most as a full species.

Jamie

I was hoping that wouldn't be the answer but of course it was going to be. Thanks very much for your response.

There are NG type greens that have been bred here legally, for generations, as well as those smuggled in more recently.

About the genetic base being buggered by hybridization: for the sake of accuracy, small founding populations, inbreeding & artificial selection can achieve the same thing, information often unknown or ignored when the hybrid vs 'pure' game gets played.

Hybridizing results in a sudden influx of new genes, what you end up with depends on the genes you're working with & how you work with them, jags are one example, but hybridizing snakes is not inherently evil, I think it could be used as a marvelous tool - sustaining captive populations, which without new genes, may succumb to the effects of inbreeding.

Last edited:
Great topic matter OP. So am I safe to assume the only form of GTP available here in Australia, purely based on what I have seen for sale are pure native GTP's, Aru, Sorong and Biak's???

I have not as yet seen the following.....Jayapura etc.

I am seeking some of the above if someone could put me in touch with someone please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back