Large Heat Mat & Fake Grass/Astroturf Questions?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually you could have the best of both worlds with the pebbles.

So what you can do is get a tile, flip it over to where you put the tile glue, on the rough side and somehow attatch the pebbles ontto the tile and put the tile ontop of the heat mat / cord .

That way the stones wont move around and you can just take it out to clean it if need be?

Could work. ^_^

Also my most favouriter thing in that tank is definitely the skull ornament.

Thanks Beans, I never thought of using both and it makes sense when it comes to cleaning and keep the temp constant which is really handy

I can only see 2 little obstacles

1) I have bought the below heat mat (quite large and will cover just under 1/3 of the floor) so I would need a fairly large tile to cover this area? I would obviously need to cut it to fit the area nicely. Obviously multiple tiles wont be suitable. Any suggestion on where to find this sort of tile?? I will have a look at Bunnings but I cant recall seeing them this size

Habistat Heat Mat
740mm x 280mm, 29" x 11"

2) What glue to use that is safe? But Ajwill has covered that below?

Fabulous looking enclosure, i can see a lot of pride has gone into the building of this reptile palace and i would not change a thing.
Beans is spot on with his thinking on using a pebble base such as a tile or tiles on top of the heat mat with the pebbles glued on them with tile glue, just for safety sake put some bamboo bbq skewers under the tile/tiles so there is an air gap.
Using the idea put forward by Beans would stop the snake from moving the pebbles around, as far as the thermo probe is concerned i think between the heat mat and tile would suffice. .........................Ron

Thanks Ron, appreciate the comments, Im pretty happy with how it turned out for my first shot and doing it.

Thanks, I like the bamboo skewer idea as well, would putting the probe on top of the heat-mat but under the tile not give it an unrealistic reading as it would be a lot warmer there than it would be above the pebbles where she would be lying. Just curious? Could you just lie the probe on top of the pebbles? Is there anything wrong with doing that?

My other thought was when placing the pebbles on the tile, leave a thin passage down the middle, just wide enough for the probe to fit in, I can just slide the probe out when its time to clean the tile/pebbles...thoughts??

Could you use Aqua safe silicon to attach the pebbles to the tile?

Thanks, I was curious about this as well, would that be ok to use? I would really use as little as possible to hold the pebble in place? and leave it to dry for a few days before putting it in

Any other suggestions on what I can use?

Thanks Beans, I never thought of using both and it makes sense when it comes to cleaning and keep the temp constant which is really handy

I can only see 2 little obstacles

1) I have bought the below heat mat (quite large and will cover just under 1/3 of the floor) so I would need a fairly large tile to cover this area? I would obviously need to cut it to fit the area nicely. Obviously multiple tiles wont be suitable. Any suggestion on where to find this sort of tile?? I will have a look at Bunnings but I cant recall seeing them this size

Habistat Heat Mat
740mm x 280mm, 29" x 11"

2) What glue to use that is safe? But Ajwill has covered that below?

Thanks Ron, appreciate the comments, Im pretty happy with how it turned out for my first shot and doing it.

Thanks, I like the bamboo skewer idea as well, would putting the probe on top of the heat-mat but under the tile not give it an unrealistic reading as it would be a lot warmer there than it would be above the pebbles where she would be lying. Just curious? Could you just lie the probe on top of the pebbles? Is there anything wrong with doing that?

My other thought was when placing the pebbles on the tile, leave a thin passage down the middle, just wide enough for the probe to fit in, I can just slide the probe out when its time to clean the tile/pebbles...thoughts??

Thanks, I was curious about this as well, would that be ok to use? I would really use as little as possible to hold the pebble in place? and leave it to dry for a few days before putting it in

Any other suggestions on what I can use?

Use a large like tile they use for paths. Like an outdoor one. If you can find a really nice slate tile the same color as the pebbles that would be awesome.

For your chemical concern, you should be safe to use sellys I think it is? You know the clear gummy gluey thing that comes in a tube? You should be okay to use that, it's used in other tanks that need waterproofing etc. Just leave it obviously for a while until all the smell has dissipated.

You could leave a tiny gap for the probe if you wish, but just keep in mind the whole contraption will heat up nicely as it would be slate/ceramic tile and pebbles. You can lay the probe just loosly on top of shove the very tip of if into a crevice between the pebbles. Not too sure on that buts thats what I would do. You might get a tiny bit of uneven heating, but don't worry about it. Your snake will find the spot it loves. xD Going to improve on rons idea of using the skewers. If you are going to be using a larger tile, plus with the pebbles it might actually snap the skewers. So you can use the bamboo garden stakes they use for training plants to grow where you want. Long green ones, unless thats what ron was talking about then all good. :3

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly looking at your tank too it looks so natural, don't make it tacky with fake grass. I love it the way it is!

Ok thanks mate

Do you think pebbles covering half the floor and then maybe a thin piece of timber to separate the substrates and then kritter crumble or coir peat for the other half to give it some variation

You could separate the two substrates with a piece of Acrylic plastic stuff. Just get some sand paper and round off the rough edges. That way you can't tell it's there, and it wont hold any bacteria and you can clean it easily if you need to :D

yes i use the microclimate heat mats and i can not fault them - I think they are the biggest on the market and go well with the Microclimate Thermostats as they are both made but the same company

Thanks Wallo, appreciate the comments

Will let you know which way I go and will post some pics

Thanks Wallo, Im pretty happy with it

Theres enough room if you are looking for place mate ;)

The cage is almost done, just tinkering with the pebbles on the tile, I've left them off the tile for now, still happy with the way its looking though

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back