Evil stimson's python HELP!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy_Snake_Girl

Reaction score
Hey guys, my first post! I picked up a 2ish year old stimson's python at the reptile exo WA on the weekend. I actually brought it for my dad as he is waiting for his license and then it will be transferred to him. Anyway the guy wouldn't let us hold it for "safety reasons", this snake is so evil! She strikes the glass when she sees a person in the reptile room. We let her be for 6 days before we tried to get her out. She wont eat at all. She only seems calm when it's only myself in the room but i don't feel comfortable getting her out. I have 2 other snakes in there and my pet rats. How do i get her to calm down? We can't even touch her or clean her cage without stricking :/ I have seen a post on here saying that having rodents in the same room can turn a snake evil. I will take them out but i still think she has been bitey for years now and thats why he wouldn't let us hold it even when we put money in his hand :/ i feel sorry for my dad :( what can i do?!

When I first got my spotted Python he was a little like this aswell but by the sounds of it not as bad as yours.

Normally this is just because it probably wasn't handled much if at all when it was growing up. What I did and what I advise you to do is just sit near the cage for an hour every day for a while, maybe read a book or something wile sitting there. This gets the snake used to activity and used to you a little as well. After that just get a hook and if need be some gloves. Then your just gunna have to man up so to speak and just try to pick it up. You have to be extremely confident when doing this otherwise things can turn bad. Try not to think of getting bit, obviously this may happen a few times but if your scared of being bit you shouldn't of got a snake! When she's out just let her slither around your hands. Just try to mimic a tree haha. Normally a snake will calm down a little when it's out of its enclosure and is being handled.

As for the not eating part I can't really give you any advice on what to do there but maybe another member of the forum can help you out with that. :)

Because she's a stimmi she should calm down after doing this a few times. Although some snakes are just mean natured and won't calm down but let's hope this isn't the case. Good luck!!

Last edited:
Hopefully somebody with more experience will comment on this however I do remember a prior discussion regarding the smell of rats or mice from them being kept in the same room as being a constant stimulus for her to be in feeding mode and hence striking at movements.

Just something to consider.

Snakes aren't evil or mean there is usually an underlying reason for particular behaviours, be it either fear, food, pain response or many other reasons. The first thing is to ascertain whether you are meeting the snakes requirements. What are temps like? Is it too hot or too cold? What's the humidity like? How many hides do you have? Where are they located? What was she fed before she came to you? She may not be feeding because she isn't used to rats vs mice or quails or chicks etc. Is it the same supplier that the original owner bought from?

Don't forget that some snakes just don't like being handled for different reasons and sometimes they can't be taught otherwise.

sorry but if you are keeping it in the same room with your pet rats i would assume it feeding responce will be high and therefore striking at anything that moves, it would also be very uncomfortable having to live like this 24hrs aday and be very cranky with that and new home the poor thing may be going out of its mind - i would recommend moving to another part of house and let it settle fully away from your rat and should be kept away from your other reptiles too with a quarnatine period.

My python was really grouchy for a while, then we caught our cat using his enclosure as a bed and sleeping on the lid, which stressed him out. Sorted that out, and he's a puppy dog now.

Hey, I think you will find the snake hasn't been handled growing up.. I would start with just a minute a day and step up the times as he/she becomes used to handling.. you will get a few bites but that's no problem from such a small breed..
Saying your not confident makes me think you havent been bitten before.. you would be surprised how much it really doesn't hurt

Hi I'm also in WA.

Really you should have the snake set up so that he can hide. To me it sounds like the set up needs a few modifications to make it feel safe and secure in its new home.
Posting a picture of the set up will help us trouble shoot it for you.
Its entirely possible the snake handled well before and is now just stressed and defensive.
Buying older snakes is never a good idea for new keepers though. Hatchies or juvies are the way to go.

- - - Updated - - -

Cover the enclosure with a towel for a few days and let it relax.

I agree that the snake is obviously stressed, the first course of action in my opinion should be to move it away from the pet rats. No doubt the snake can smell the rats 24 hours of the day and it is contributing to stress.
Most important thing when your letting a snake settle is that it can hide away. The idea is to provide as little stimuli as possible to help it slowly become accustomed to its new environment.
Apart from that, husbandry! Don't go throwing it in a busy enclosure while it settles, some substrate, a hide and water is all you need. Covering the enclosure with a towel is a great idea, but keep airflow in mind.

@Crazy_Snake_Girl Snowman has the best idea about covering with a towel, however because of it's age it may take a bit more than a couple - 6 days to settle it, it might be an idea to get the temp up to around 34 deg C constantly and giving it several hides then covering with a towel or blanket for at least 10 - 14 days without any interference at all except to check water and temps, at the end of this time uncover the enclosure and still leave alone for another couple of days, after it has had a decent settling in time try hooking the beast out and using a pillow case or glove get it used to going from hook to hand, this may take a few weeks of frustration before it realizes you really are not a threat, there are not too many snakes that cannot be calmed using this method and those that can't will just have to be a look not touch animal. As far as feeding is concerned don't worry too much it is just that time of year when most pythons will brumate and go off their food, it will eat when it is hungry and at 2 years old one would think it would have enough condition on to survive at least 6 months without food, when it starts patrolling around the enclosure with a bit more vigour try it on a nice warm fuzzy or weaner Rat, don't be afraid to leave the food item in the enclosure overnight it will be fine. Hope this was of some help and your Stimmie settles down and becomes the tactile Python you were hoping for. :) ....................Ron

I have the same problem, a 2yo female Stimson who has been handled since day one. She loves being out of her enclosure and is very gentle. She hasn't eaten now for four months, I figured it is because of Winter and my house gets pretty cold. I am a bit worried about her not eating but the bigger issue is that after I have tried to feed her, she strikes at me through the glass. The next day I can get her out of the enclosure and she is fine, she is gentle and loves getting out and about.

Her enclosure is Wooden with glass doors, she has a heat mat with the Hide on top of it. The floor is bark and she has a largeish water container with fresh water, there is no heat lamp but a UVB light. Temps are set at 32c, I had it set lower and raised them to see if this helps. I also have a male 1yo Stimson in and enclosure next to her with much the same setup, he eats OK every two weeks or so and is not aggressive at all.

Could it be that the two enclosures are too close together?

Dustproof I wouldn't worry once it warms up again your stimmie will start eating again provided your husbandry is right too.the other snake would not be agitating her, the OP has hers in a room full of rats. the 1 yo will likely do the same thing at this time of year ( not eat for a while ) once it's the same age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back