Keeping Plains Rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptinate

Reaction score
Anyone know what Plains Rats are like to keep? And are they fine with being handled or are they a hands off animal? Thanks.

I have kept plains rats for about 5 years, they don't like being held, they are nocturnal and usually sleep all day, I keep mine in 3 foot glass aquariums, with sugar cane mulch on the floor of their enclosure with small hollow logs for them to hide in and a budgie breeding box where they sleep ----even though they are nocturnal, they will come out and observe me when I put food in their enclosure or do anything near their enclosure, I feed them mixed bird seed (mainly sunflower seed) along with raw carrot, one night, apple, lettuce cabbage etc, on other nights always giving them a variety of fruit and vegies --- I believe they live for about 5 to 6 years though I don't have any of my original animals left, they do become territorial and don't like the introduction of new additions---- hope that helps

sorry I have taken so long to get back to you --- don't keep them on their own, keep at least two or three together ---- at least --- more is fine, but be very careful if you introduce new rats as they become very territorial --- good luck

does anybody know where I can buy a pair of plains rats, my colony is now down to five old males and I don't think they are going to have any young

Anyone know what Plains Rats are like to keep? And are they fine with being handled or are they a hands off animal? Thanks.
I've kept Spinifex Hopping Mice which are very similar to keep to these little guys. A good size well ventilated glass tank. Substrate can be sand, kritters krumble and wood shavings. Place logs, rocks and hides in their enclosure so they can explore. Diet i think is similar bird seed, veggies etc. Best to keep em in with others minimum of two. That's all i know. Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back