Carpet Python Enclosures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptinate

Reaction score
Hey,
Just curious to know whether you give your Carpets more height or length, and what size do you usually give them? Making a new enclosure for my Bredli.

Thanks

Everyone seems to have a different opinion on this, but I personally have mine in 4x2x4 (WxDxH), which admittedly could be overkill for some of the smaller sp. (such as Jungles). I've noticed that a lot of breeders tend to keep the height to a minimum to save space (often with no branches), but in my experience they certainly utilize any height/branches provided to a great extent.

Adam

Just my opinion, I used to have a 5 foot long, 2 and a half foot high for my adult Murray Darling, he was always trying to climb everything, but there just wasn't the room.

I'm now converting an entertainment unit into two enclosures, the part for my MD will be 4 ft high x 4 ft wide x 22" depth, the other part will be for my RSP, which is 4 ft x 20" x 22". (H x W x D)

So I prefer height for my pythons, (my MD is an adult - 6 1/2 foot) so he will enjoy his new space once it's done.

You obviously need to have the room for taller/bigger enclosures, I think the usual melamine type enclosures that lots of keepers seem to have is mainly for space saving, you can have a 4 stack of 4 x 2 x 2 (W x H X D) and therefore, more snakes.

Some snakes like more floor room, I guess it depends on the species, whether they are arboreal or terrestrial, or a bit of both. Apparently MD's are semi-arboreal, RSP's are arboreal.

Keep my Bredlis in 4x2x4(WDH), they spend about 60-70% of their time perched high on the branches and love it.

Keep my Bredlis in 4x2x4(WDH), they spend about 60-70% of their time perched high on the branches and love it.
I keep mine in enclosures that are 2' tall,they all have branches and spend maybe 10% of their time on those branches.The reason I think they spend more time climbing in taller enclosures is because since heat rises the most suitable temps in taller enclosures is up higher (on branches).

I kept my diamond python in a 5ft tank, horizontal. Anything smaller than 4ft for any snake is pretty cruel

I keep mine in enclosures that are 2' tall,they all have branches and spend maybe 10% of their time on those branches.The reason I think they spend more time climbing in taller enclosures is because since heat rises the most suitable temps in taller enclosures is up higher (on branches).

I agree, it's about 36-38c in the top 1/3, compared to 30-32c in the bottom 1/3.
One thing I've observed over the years is Bredli seem to like it quite hot compared to other species...

I think it really depends on the individual snake, when our big Intergrade was about 5 years old she was in a 4x4x3 enclosure and hardly ever spent any time on the ground, she used to climb over everything so we had the bright idea to put her on the verandah in an aviary with lots of climbing opportunities, lot of good that did, she spent all her time on the ground in and out of the ground hide sulking, she never used the climbing frames or logs/branches so we put her back in the 4x4x3 until i built the enclosure pictured, then it was back to normal.....go figure. :) .....................Ron

Attachments

• 20130225_161149.jpg
    20130225_161149.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 137
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back