The end is near

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyNut

Reaction score
After 4 years in my care (putting the little fella at 8 years) it appears his journey will soon end. My first ever male Ctenophorus fionni is showing serious signs of age, he has grown so thin despite the abundance of food he has eaten and is now quite lethargic. I have moved him into a small enclosure and put some crickets in to insure he can catch and eat them (its only temporary). And given him plenty of water. I really hope to see him to his 10th birthday, but at this stage I will be lucky to see him to his ninth :( It is very distressing to see one of my favourite animals in such, appearing, poor health.

Regards
CN

P.S for all of you who don't know 8 years for a Cetnophorus fionni is still above average (usually only live to 6).

Sorry to hear that CN, I think it's really hard to watch (any of) our pets age and decline in health, he's obviously been well looked after and lived a good life if he's made it to 8 though.

I agree with @Snapped. I had to watch my first cat die of a cancer in her kidney. It was horrible to go and see her before she was euthanised, mewing her last mews, and watching us longingly with clouding eyes. @CrazyNut, I, along with many others, feel your pain. I hope you dragon gets better. Good luck.

Yeh, it does suck. Lost my first reptile, a bearded who was around 12, and my cat earlier this year

I feel sorry for you CN, I hate it when my pets die but I remember (and I'm sure it is the same for you) that they had a great life and I'm sure they would be thankful for it. One of my dogs died about a year ago, which was really sad and currently one of my others is not too far behind. I hope he lives a little longer in your luxury life you've made for him, and all the best.

Regards,
Bredli

The main problem atm with him is that he simply won't eat, I have tried force feeding and all he does his leave the cricket in his mouth or he spits it out. Looking in his mouth etc there is no sign of amy trauma or infection. He is not injured. His temps are right. I don't know why he is refusing to eat :( Argh it's so frustrating, theres no obvious reason for him not be eating! The only thing I can think of is he is lonely but he has only been with another dragon once and he bit her..... Never had this problem with any other reptile in 10 years!

I'll atempt to help, but I doubt this is it. But if it is, it's a sad outcome. When I lived in France, we had a dog. She was bred to hunt pumas, and was a cross between a few species. He breed was not allowed here in Aus, so when we came we had to leave her with someone in France. A while later, we got news that she had died. Why? Because she refused to eat and drink.

Like with humans, animals can go off food and water when they experience a hard time. Whether this is an ailment, or simply old age, an animal sometimes just, like some humans, wants it to be over.

That's the only reason why I think he might not be eating. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but I wanted to let you know, from experience, that it does happen, unfortunately. Hopefully, however, one of the more experienced members will pitch in with a reason less upsetting than mine.

Regardless of the outcome, I agree with [MENTION=709]bredli[/MENTION]. To reach such an age, your dragon has lived a great life, and you have cared for it exceptionally well. Even if he doesn't make it, know that you cared for him properly and provided him with a quality lifestyle, and take this as a reflection of your skill as a reptile owner.

Once again, good luck,
Herpo.

For my sake, I hope your wrong too Herpo :/ whenever I lose an animal, I think it goes for most keepers too, I really question if there was something I could have done. Its so distressing esspecailly since is one of the nicest reptiles I have owned in my 10 years being a keeper. Full of character and so chill, used to walk around the house with him just chilling in my shirt pocket (his name is pockets, thats he got his name), just how chilled he was.

It is distressing when they won't eat.

I remember when my Bearded Dragon (years ago when I had one) just stopped eating/drinking one day, I was advised to get a tin of pureed baby food (Apple Sauce) mix in a tiny bit of his calcium supplement and syringe a tiny amount onto his tongue. and wait for him to swallow it (got a small syringe from the chemist, minus the needle).
I did this with water too, as well as giving him a warm shallow bath. He did come good after a few days on this and never found out why he stopped eating. He was only about a year old.

I'm not if this would help with your guy or not, but thought it worth sharing just in case.

Might try that with puréd crickets or something.

- - - Updated - - -

~UPDATE~
Sadly he has past away (sometime today). RIP pockets

Sorry for your loss, CN. Just remember the good times, and that he had a good innings at 8, with much care and attention from you.

This might sound silly, but maybe cremate him. We have our cats ashes with us, and she sits on the bedside table with a final photo of her and a poem in her honour.

Sorry for your loss, CrazyNut.

Nah I prefer to burry my pets under a plant/plant a plant on top. Doubt I will find another like him. Thank you for your help and support.

Sorry for your loss mate.
I lost my first beardy (and reptile) after 11 years (he was close to 15y.o) in December 2009.
I still lament the day he passed and acknowledge it every year.
Chin up brother.

My condolences to you CN. I know he would have enjoyed his time with you. If you feel it is ok to post pics (things last forever on the net) please do. You could always do what mad_at_arms said and acknowledge his passing every year.

Chin up mate,
Bredli

Thanks everyone. @mad_at_arms oddly enough I had a similar lose earlier this year (my bearded who was my first I had him just over 10 years), not having a good run sadly. I have posted some before but posting some more isn't going to hurt. For those who are curious I buried him last night in a pot and planted a peony rose seedling in it.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    923 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Very very nice! I'm sure the rose will grow as stunning as he was! RIP Pockets...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back