So I'm Going Away and...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Herpo

Reaction score
Hi all,
For Christmas this year. we are going to Malaney, QLD, to visit some friends. Because it's so far away (around 12 hours nonstop, but at our pace, 2 days) I asked if we could bring Popeye with us. Long story short, his wife is scared of snakes, so it's a no go.

Last time we left like this, I left him a large tupperware box full of water and fed him before we left, but when we got back, he looked really dehydrated. So I'm asking for any tips on what I should do to make him have a good two weeks alone, and to also give me peace of mind while I'm away.

Thank you in advance
Herpo

In Canberra, our local reptile shop has a baby sitting service for reptiles, very good and works well but I assume there isn't something like that in sydney. You could leave it with a friend or family member with somewhat ok husbandry knowledge, depending how long you are gone, or just get them to fill up the water every couple of days.

Bredli

We have new neighbours on one side, so I don't think it would be a very good housewarming gift if they're afraid. And the other neighbours wouldn't be comfortable leaving Popeye around their year old son.

I wish our pet store did that. But while they're ready to help, It doesn't extend that far. Thanks for the help though.

Snake will be fine if you go away. If you could get someone to come in and change the water once a week that would be a plus but if not snake will still be fine.

Reptile sitting service is a disease outbreak waiting to happen.

I leave my every time I got go on holidays , they are the perhaps the easiest pets to leave alone , just have the basics covered water and temperatures . Tupperware box doesn't sound great because the heat pad tends to evaporate water into condensate. Your best bet is to leave animal in normal enclosure with enough water

Mate just feed him/her up before you leave and make sure he/she have enough water. I have gone on holidays for 4 weeks streight only to return to perfectly fine animals, a little thin in some cases but nothing a good feed wouldn't fix.

Bit late now bit a perfect example of why sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than for permission. :lol:

If you're concerned, leave a slightly bigger water bowl, but not a tupperware container. Too easily evaporated. Go to one of the cheap shops and get a casserole or souffle dish, wide but shallow. Something like that should be fine until you get back.

Make sure you're using a good quality thermostat, and a heat source which is not overly powerful for the application.

your snakes will be fine, ive left on numerous trips and returned to healthy snakes eagerly awaiting a feed. in summer I switch the heating off before leaving, if winter I use a low watt globe set to be on for a few hours in the morning and a few just before dark. they don't feed then anyway so dosent really matter. This year I have a bit of a dilemma (xmas with the parents on the sunny coast) as my lacey eats daily and his tank temps arn't something to mess around with. I've decided to transfer my lacey onto my brothers permit as a loan, and will transfer it back when I return. he lives on the sunny coast so seems like a good idea in theory ;)

A snake would be fine without water for two weeks but in reality if you fill water when you leave it may only evaporate after a week or so. The main problem is if the cage overheats, which depends upon cage design. What happens if your heat stays on? Will your cage overheat or does the surplus heat disapate?

Once again Wokka is on the money:)! The only issue will be the possibility of a heatwave and consequent overheating, especially if the thermostat fails (which is possible!). Two weeks around Xmas, I'd probably be inclined to ask a neighbour if they can monitor the weather and if extremes are expected (anything over 35C), ask them to come in and turn off the power to the enclosure. They wouldn't need to have anything to do with the animal , just turn the power off at the wall.

Failing that, I'd probably feed the animal a week before you leave, to give it time to break down the food item, and simply leave it without power or heating for the fortnight you're away - at Xmas time this will do no harm at all. You could place the enclosure in the warmest room in the house if you choose this option.

Either way, the snake will be fine. Enjoy Maleny - it's a beautiful place - lots of musical people there, musicians, instrument makers... I was there last year for a banjo camp, and had a great time. It'll be pretty hot & humid, but you should have fun :)!

Jamie

When I first moved to Sydney many years ago, I learned the hard way......
If one of those freak 40+ heatwaves that sometimes hits NSW occurs when you're away, you should have a couple of cold clamps in the freezer and ask a neighbour/friend to put them in the enclosure.

Thank you everyone for you replies, [MENTION=41835]Wokka[/MENTION], the heat is constantly one and is maintained between 28 and 32 degrees. If it gets too hot in the house, it simply turns off the heat lamp until it get's back to a good temp.
[MENTION=41820]pythoninfinite[/MENTION], I have been before, but it was when we first came to Aus, so I can't remember anything except seeing my first kookaburra. I'm really looking forward to it. Do you know what herps I should expect to see? I'd love to see a scrubbie, but I don't know if they frequent Malaney.

Once again, thank you all,
Regards,
Herpo

you won't find a scrubbie in Maleny. FNQ is where you find them. coastals are common, lots of interesting elapids, water dragons frequent the creeks, I'm hoping to photograph angleheads and major skinks, ive heard of landmullets being found there but ive only found one at minion falls, NSW. and the gold coast hinterland thus far. i'm planning on hitting the Conandale ranges, and the general area around my folks place in the mooloola valley. roughies (Tropidechis) pale headed (h bitoquatus) and stephans banded snake (h stephensi) are my main target species. odds are i'll get photos of everything but them :( hope you enjoy your trip!

Have a look at my herping pics post as they are all taken from around the Maleny area, my favourites are by far the angle head dragons.
Have fun @ Maleny

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1447675955525.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1447675955525.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
[MENTION=41642]Herpo[/MENTION], if the only thing you are worried about is water when you go away just head on into any pet shop and pick up 1 of those dog bowls that a 1.25 or 2 lt coke bottle screws into, get a 2 lt bottle and fill it up and just make sure it is secured somewhere in the enclosure so Popeye can't knock it over, 2lts should be fine for 2 weeks but if you are really concerned get a couple of them, water can only flow into the bowl if the water level drops so there is little chance of an accidental flooding or a major spill if Popeye decides to curl up in the bowl to cool down, hope that helps. :) .....................Ron

There isn't any need for these animals to have a constant supply of water. Some keepers/breeders only give them water for 24 hours every week, and the animals do fine. You must remember that they often go for MONTHS without water in the wild - they don't all live next to a constant supply of water. Especially in southern parts of Australia, the long, very hot and dry summers mean that snakes in those regions routinely don't see water or have a drink for months during summer. If you place a water bowl in the enclosure, it will have water for at least a few days (more if the bowl is larger) and it will be fine for the remaining few days until you get home. If you turn the thermostat down, or even off, the snake will probably be unaware that you're not around.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back