Who offers insurance for reptiles to cover vet costs ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

Banned
Reaction score
A friend who has a pet CBD needs surgery to drain and excise a large abscess on it's head that is making it sick , he told me it's going to cost him $1000 to have his pet assessed , a biopsy taken, to put his pet under general, and to open up the abscess, drain it, excise it, wash the wound and close and provide post op care and antibiotics. He's not in a position to pay that kind of money out. The vet expects payment in full and doesn't offer credit (I believe this is common practice). So he will have to borrow the money somewhere if he chooses to risk the procedure (he may wind up with his pet dying on the operating table). Horrible situation to find yourself in.

I don't think $1000 for a procedure on a lizard is going to be uncommon, I've heard of more expensive procedures on pet snakes and lizards for a range of illnesses including impactions, cancers, broken bones, etc , nor is $1000 a trivial amount for most people to find when it's not been planned for or budgeted for (even those who are working).

I've 5 pet lizards, who I am very fond off and try to give the best care I can to , all spoilt rotten . This got me thinking what if one of my pet lizards got ill or was injured somehow , how would I pay such a large vet fee , I'm retired and my savings are limited as is my income.

So I went looking on the internet to see if I could find reptile health insurance , I can't find anyone who offers it (here in Australia anyway , yes if you have a cat or a dog or farm or show animals , but not lizards as far as I can see. :( )

Does anyone know of an insurer here in Australia who offers health insurance for exotics such as lizards ?
..... and how much do they charge to provide the insurance , and is there a gap payment ?

Last edited:
Sadly, not for reptiles. You may be able to insure for theft though. Will not cover pre-existing conditions, such as your friend's CBD is experiencing however, for any animals.

Jamie

Australia as usual is behind the times you would have no trouble in U.K or U.S finding reptile insurance.

I'm pretty sure even the USA doesn't do reptile coverage atleast not in Indiana.....because ya know, reptiles aren't as special for some people as dogs and cats :T

Insurance companies exist to make a profit. To do that they need to to charge premiums at least equal to the likely payout + administration +profit. On average the the payout received by a policy holder must not exceed the premiums paid or the insurance company would go broke, so on average policy holders lose. Fear enables the capitalist insurance companies to generate a perceived benefit from insurance, however on average it is not financially beneficial to the policy holder, to insure! It just like buying a lottery ticket or betting on the horses. A few come out ahead, but the majority have to lose.

Insurance companies exist to make a profit. To do that they need to to charge premiums at least equal to the likely payout + administration +profit. On average the the payout received by a policy holder must not exceed the premiums paid or the insurance company would go broke, so on average policy holders lose. Fear enables the capitalist insurance companies to generate a perceived benefit from insurance, however on average it is not financially beneficial to the policy holder, to insure! It just like buying a lottery ticket or betting on the horses. A few come out ahead, but the majority have to lose.

Yes - true.

This was way I haven't held healthcare / hospital insurance coverage for over 30 years. I simply pay to cover myself and my family for ambulance.

Don't care about the 30% tax rebate if I took out health/hospital cover. In fact , IMO the federal government remove that rebate , the private health funds have been getting subsidised too long.

Universial tax funded health/hospital insurance is what I've had. Last time I was in hospital I got the best surgeon and same care as "private patients" and when I was discharged I was not charged a cent for the care and drugs and operation ,whereas the private patient was presented with a big bill. (he was not impressed when he learnt I wasn't).

I guess I'll have to make sure I have some emergency money tucked away incase my pets get sink ,so I wont be in the same boat as my friend is. I'd hate to have to borrow or leave nature to it's course.

Last edited:
You are better off either putting away the equivalent money you would pay for insurance (requires self control), or getting a personal loan after you've recieved a vet bill. With a loan you at least know that you have a need for the vet and your not paying for a possibility. As others have mentioned, it is like gambling. You are betting that you will have an issue and the insurance company are betting that you wont; however they are the book makers, so they have the odds in their favour.

One of the reasons reptile insurance isn't available is probably because not enough data is available on the number of issues, the cost of treatment and the number of keepers for insurance companies to set a price. Another reason is possibly the premiums would be too high and deter people from covering their animals.

All I did was google search for uk reptile insurance picked 1st site that came up no idea of reputation £213 per year £35 excess depending on procedure. That's for 3 2yo carpet pythons worth £150ea. death/theft and weather perils? Cover.

Last edited:
All I did was google search for uk reptile insurance picked 1st site that came up no idea of reputation £213 per year £35 excess depending on procedure. That's for 3 2yo carpet pythons worth £150ea. death/theft and weather perils? Cover.
In that example, i presume that the payout would include the option replacing the animal with another $150 carpet python by paying out the claim with $150-35=$115, otherwise the value of the insured animal would be irrelevant. So you are paying (betting) $213 to cover against vet bills of 3 x ($150-35) =$354 maximum payout or ballpark 150% of the premium. That doesn't seem good odds for the pet owner, but in a capitalist society the big companies scare Joe average into being risk averse. Look at the most expensive buildings in the average city. Odds are they are owned by insurance companies paid for by the profits left over by "helping" their policy holders.Being fair, insurance companies have to cover policy holders who's attitude is that the insurance company takes the risk as well as those who try to minimise their own risk so some policy holders are subsidising others.

Last edited:
Insurance company's are there to make money that's for sure, but people will pay that premium for peace of mind I forgot to check what procedures that excess would cover for a vet bill.

Last edited:
Wokka is on the money. You'd be better off putting the money aside yourself and having a little vet fund if you're that concerned about it. At least that way if you don't need it you won't be losing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back