Pls Help! Damaged Scales - Is this Scale Rot?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JuliaS

Reaction score
Hello,

I am very concerned about the scales of my 2yo stimmy.

Recently, e did have some scabby looking scales over the past 2 months, and I took him to the vet and she informed me that it was burns - seems my thermostat was not reading accurately. Some areas of his belly were somewhat scabby and pink or brown. I fixed up the heating situation, and gave him precautionary anitbiotics as instructed by the Vet.

Yesterday I was excited to see him shedding yesterday, thinking the scale damage would disappear. HOWEVER he has shed to reveal a NEW issue - greenish spots on his scales. The burn problem appears to be gone, but now he has a few patches of spots, a dark shade almost green. The biggest patch is around 10 spots near his head, however he has a few other smaller patches of dots on his belly.

Does anybody recognise this issue? It's stressing me out greatly, and I'm sure my stimmy isn't too happy either :-(

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0129.jpg
    IMG_0129.jpg
    506.8 KB · Views: 1,156
  • IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 752
  • IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    482.1 KB · Views: 1,032
No its not scale rot. Looks like is just damage that is still visible from the prior injury you mention. Should clean up in another shed or 2.

It could be permanent discolouration causes by the burms. One of my snakes has three black scales on it jaw from a rubbing injury years ago. After it healed the scales never went back to the cream/white they were originaly. I wouldn't worry too much about it; only time will tell if they revert back to the original colour.

Hi thankyou very much for your responses- they were such a great relief to read.

The current patches of black dots are on different areas to his belly to where the burns were (the burns were prodominantly on the lower half whereas the biggest patch of black/darkgreen dots is closer to his head). Do you think this is any cause for concern?

Would anyone on here advise putting something on these black dots to make sure they're not bacterial - betadine or tea tree or perhaps pawpaw ointment to moisturise?

Thankyou very much for your help!

Julia

Hi Julia,

From previous experience of having seen snakes with similar symptoms, by the look of it, it may be a fungal infection that is known as Dermatophytosis. From what I recall I believe the fungus enters through damaged skin and this may be a secondary infection that has resulted from the previous burn injury.

I'm not saying that it definitely is but it just may need a return visit to the vet to have them give it the once over. If it is it, quite often all damaged scales have to be removed and the area treated with an antiseptic treatment suitable for reptiles. Sometimes vets recommend that it be treated with an oral antifungal drug or an antifungal cream.

I hope this is not the case but i don't think it would hurt to get it looked at.

Cheers,

George.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back