Alternative sandy substrates to commercial desert sand/play sand

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smittiferous

Reaction score
Guys and girls,

Due to the nature of my job (we build basements), I'm always coming across enormous quantities of various sands and soils, pulled fresh from the ground by yours truly.

Two of our current jobs are yielding this magnificent red clayey sand from about a metre or two underground, that looks and feels incredibly similar to the natural top layers of soil from around South Hedland. It packs down quite nicely and would hold burrows exceptionally well. Initial granular coarseness is a little larger than the commercially available desert sand, but it seems to separate into quite fine particles. Any reason this wouldn't be suitable substrate for a monitor? I'm ripping it out of the ground a thousand cubic metres at a time and have permission to take as much as I can stuff in my proverbial pockets.

It is very similar in consistency to packing sand, used in slab construction, which is something else I'd also look at using for the same reasons.

e8897e2cbd90361d7ba294d3dc249b50.jpg
af1c1f5e8a43d2af3252f2d22e9dad64.jpg
16318797f01f1fc3f0c9b899e4c89f20.jpg
c712425ba182c87e64aef14220590fe4.jpg
aca434a54c986eeda70420611379a890.jpg
aaccb565a4bb9fc9dd48f7586c093748.jpg

While down below it's packed so densely it's rock-like but after being attacked with twenty-two tons of fury it ends up as the loose material you can see in the images. After adequate preparation I think a monitor would love digging through it, my only concern is the presence of the clay in the material, if it could cause any health issues.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Looks good to me, as long as it's not radioactive:). I've been told the stuff they sell as "Red Desert Sand" for $20 for a few kilos is just plain builder's sand with red oxide through it, which stains the animals anyway. I drove 700K to Roxby for the genuine stuff, but you have it on your doorstep:).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back