Native Mammals

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Herpo

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm really curious. In a few peoples signatures I've read they keep plains rats or hopping mice. They seem like really cool creature to keep, but I'm not sure on care and where you'd get them. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

BTW I'm not looking to keep them yet, but would be nice to have some info.kl

Hi all,
I'm really curious. In a few peoples signatures I've read they keep plains rats or hopping mice. They seem like really cool creature to keep, but I'm not sure on care and where you'd get them. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

BTW I'm not looking to keep them yet, but would be nice to have some info.kl

Check out Camo's in Pendleton Hills he sells them from time to time. From what I can tell they are nothing like pet mice re diet etc. he claims they make great pets. Best bet talk to him.

Last edited:
Hi Herpo,
I've been keeping a pair of Mitchell's Hopping Mice for 3 years now they are an easy animal to keep. They're easier to find now that they have been taken off the licence. Diet: I feed them Frozen Vegies with Bird Seed, with grass seeds and crickets/mealworms as extra treats. Feed them every night but if u bulk up they're food you can leave them for 2-3 days I take mine on holiday because i have a spare enclosure at my beach house.
Heating: For Mitchell's not really u can but mine are fine without if you're looking to keep Spinifex Hopping Mice I'd recommend it because they come from a desert environment.
Enclosure: A good size glass tank not a melamine or wooden as they can chew through it. Minimum is 80cm Long x 40cm Wide for a pair you must keep them in at least a pair because they're quite social. Make sure they're logs, rocks for them to climb and explore I also use a mouse wheel and they love it.
Substrate: I use white wash sand, Kritters Crumble but you can also use Red Desert Sand
Smell: Hopping Mice don't smell unless u don clean their enclosure for 4 weeks or so then they begin to smell.
Breeding: They don't breed like normal mice they usually have 3-5 babies.
Hope this covers everything. ������

Last edited:
I have a colony of hopping mice in an 8ft tank on the back deck. Great to watch on a summers evening. Substrate of wood shavings about 30cm deep, which is rearranged by the mice every night. With this volume of substrate it only needs a fortnightly to monthly clean out. Lots of narrow pic pipe and branches for them to play on. They eat vege scraps and bird seed, some individuals will eat insects.

Any chance of pics? I would love to see some of your hopping mice and the set ups needed to house them.
Cheers

attachment.php
attachment.php
Hi these are mine soz about the wonky one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 380
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 382
Wish we could keep sugar gliders here in NSW. From what I've heard they are super little pets. Also squirrel gliders (Petaurus norfolkensis), yellow-bellied gliders (P. australis), ring-tailed possums (Pseudocheirus peregrinus) and western quoll (Dasyurus geoffroii) and perhaps a smaller wallaby would all make very nice pets.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back