Next project: Conversion!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smittiferous

Reaction score
Found this half an hour ago on my street with "Free to good home" stuck to it.
ec2d46000d718f94a803059ab4fd4c69.jpg

Instantly saw potential, so claimed it, as a very good lady friend will be getting her own Variegata soon and will need a home for it.

Going to test out some ideas for mounting easily removable vertical branches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Removed the shelf, added a bottom strip along the front, cut all ventilation holes in the sides and added braces on the back for something to fix the back wall to. All with bits I had in my off-cuts bin.
ad5e01c9b36306ca5194ba011e26110d.jpg

Also for all you DIY-ers looking at cabinet conversions, highly recommend getting one of these:
d8d40a0940023cec77dbbf4d91868192.jpg

Called a "cat's paw" (queue haters) I have literally never met a stubborn fixing or piece of timber this will not help remove. Thirty-five knicker at total tools for this one, and it's paid for itself a many a time.

When you said you'd found my snake enclosure, I was slightly confused and very surprised, but for you to have already completed this much work....

You're insane. Thank you.

I'm rather looking forward to seeing the finished product!

[MENTION=32194]Smittiferous[/MENTION], Looks like a good find, but do you think it is deep enough?. :) ..................Ron

Haha. Thank god im not the only one keeping screws/nails in an empty sp26 tin.

[MENTION=36030]ronhalling[/MENTION] Internal dimensions are 840 x 840 x 420. It's for an arboreal Python, so lack of significant depth/length is in my opinion easily made up for with height and width. It will also be a juvenile so won't need much in the way of room for a few years yet :)
[MENTION=41620]EdwardB[/MENTION] I'm a hoarder, it's in my genes (should be able to tell from the state of my garage!) so any and all potential storage containers are always saved and used :D

Looking forward to the progress of the build :)

I am assuming that this build will be a sliding glass configuration and so when the time comes I suggest that rather than getting the permanent and uncomfortable ground in finger grips, that you look at our wide range of Sliding Glass Finger Grips which you can see at - http://virides.com.au/shop/sliding-glass-finger-grips

You can pay securely by Paypal using any major credit card and you don't need a Paypal account to use it.

[MENTION=32194]Smittiferous[/MENTION] Sorry didn't realise it was you, thanks anyways! :)

Spent the last couple of hours back on this project:

167a37d3479b28444399a44fc3d000cd.jpg

4ba9144f5aa3a54a6deee3ef1d493136.jpg

[MENTION=17341]akarsha[/MENTION] sanded it all back. Decision was made to leave the cabinet doors off, so underneath was left unsanded.

1d0dd525ccaa4770f452d9683ce6ed76.jpg

Plywood back screwed on.

3c21c5437b800104d585c36247b6b3cd.jpg

Rear vent cut and test fitted, and all screw/nail holes filled.

Last edited:
Ahhh friendship! Looks great so far, bet the snake and the owner are looking forward to using it!

Ahhh friendship! Looks great so far, bet the snake and the owner are looking forward to using it!

Indeed I am!!

About to gap the inside and sand all the filled nail holes. Then it's painting time!

Looks great and i will be watching close as i am too about to start building my own enclosure (with running water and day night cycle) keep posting up !

Looking better with every post, and I bet [MENTION=17341]akarsha[/MENTION] gets more excited with every post!

Just curious Smitti, what are the 8 holes in the sides for? surely not for vents....that would be a bit of overkill and make it hard to get a decent gradient. :) ...................Ron

[MENTION=36030]ronhalling[/MENTION] yep, for vents. All eight 28mm vents still don't flow as much air as the 112x222 rectangular vent typically used as the exhaust vent so that will still limit total airflow. As the enclosure is timber it will retain quite a bit of heat also so I'd rather have more ventilation just in case. Besides, I can always block them up of need be, in between the two plastic vent covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back