Diamond care help (DPS)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iguana

Reaction score
I recently acquired a 2yr old diamond python, never had one before and don't have too much experience so I thought it would be like keeping a Carpet. The guy at the store didn't tell me about DPS or Diamond python syndrome, which after heavy reading I now know exists.

He is in a 4X2X2 (indoor) with one heat bulb (don't know the wattage exactly but it's low), and a daytime light (not UVB), the heat lamp is on a thermostat which is set to 26-27, it is on all the time except for the auto switch off when it's too hot. He uses the basking spot frequently and his measurements with my thermostat gun are usually between 24-27 degrees (most of the time) with the occasional 29.
The day time light is on at 9:30 and off at 6:30.
He will bask for about 2-3 hours in the morning that retreat into the warmish hide below the lamp for the rest of the day, occasionally coming back out to bask again.

What I need help with is the heating part, I know DPS occurs when Diamonds are kept too hot for too long, and no site has been able to give me solid advice on heating, or even list the symptoms of DPS. I've read to turn the lamp off at night, or only have it on for 3-4 hours, but none of this matches up with what other people say.
I don't intend to breed him, but I've also read that they should be cooled in winter regardless, to around 18 degrees,

So, if anyone knows the symptoms of DPS, has kept a Diamond or Diamond's for awhile I'd really appreciate some firsthand advice on care and heating especially.
Thanks,

I only heat my Diamonds 4 hrs per day MAX. Often less in winter. Up to 31-32 deg hot spot is fine.
Diamonds can cope with higher temps for short periods but seem to do better if avoided.

High temps with long periods of exposure can have adverse effects on health, whether this is DPS or not I don't know as I never saw any issues with them that couldn't be associated to husbandry to be honest.

Alright thanks for the help, i'll adjust the temps immediately.

Hi Iguana, diamonds are by far my favourite morelia.
In my opinion the temps you describe here could be tweaked a little bit.
Though,... I see no reason why your diamond wouldn't go allright using your set up as you described.
Even in winter, a wild diamond will position itself in the ideal place to survive the winter months. They MUST raise their body temps to temperatures of 28 - 32 at least every one to two weeks. Yeah, I know this goes against many captive diamond keepers beliefs, but it isn't that hard to achieve in the wild. I have also read on forums etc to "never let your diamond get over 30 degrees",... its a load of rubbish. I have recorded body temps of basking wild diamonds much higher.

I have mine in with a basking site that gets to 32-35 but it is only on for 3hrs in the morning, and comes back on for 2 in the afternoon. This allows them to heat right up to optimum body temp. ( The temperature that the animal can fully function, circulate blood around, produce
immunity enzymes etc.) They get there quick, and they then get the choice if they feel a little insecure, they can go and hide, safe in the knowledge that they are the right temp, so they aren't stressed by over exposure. The hr or two at night can give them a little boost for the cold night. Other then this heating regime, there is no other heat source for them. Except the ambient room temp. And I lessen or lengthen the times the heat is on depending on time of year.
You must remember that diamonds are prone to RI (pneumonia etc) if kept too cold, just like any other snake. But I believe there are differences between them and other morelia, and one of them is that in my opinion they are much better naturally equipped for long cool periods, then say coastals or darwins. They seem to manage what heat they get, better.

There was a great, in-depth post by @serpenttongue years ago about his experiences with dps, seems to have been wiped of the server though. A shame, because it was a great read.

Last edited:
Many vets now are more convinced that there is no such thing as DPS. They are much more convinced that the disease is viral. There are more deadly reptile viruses in the country then first believed, as much as metabolic burnout sounds credible, i'm yet to be convinced that it 'has legs' scientifically.

Attachments

• IMG_1409.jpg
    IMG_1409.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 200
[MENTION=4778]cement[/MENTION] thank you for the detailed and very helpful info! It's now obvious im keeping him abit too cold. I was always told not to allow their body temp to go above 30, but after reading your info, that idea doesn't make much sense. I've also heard alot of info from vets saying DPS isn't real, it seems there is so little info on whatever it is regardless.
As for the heating, what do you use to control when the heat lamp turns on and off? I have the day bulb on a timer but I don't think it's advanced enough to turn multiple devices on and off during the day multiple times.
Thanks again for the info and beautiful Diamond by the way! [MENTION=25680]PythonLegs[/MENTION] ah that is a shame, would have been great to read and learn from.

I just have all my heat on timers. I don't use thermostats in with the diamonds, except for the hatchy racks. Hatchies have access to 30 degree 24/7.
Serpent tongues observations were a sad read, and I haven't seen him on here for years but he said he couldn't bring himself to own diamonds again after watching them one by one die of varying symptoms such as brittle and weak bones, tremors etc. If the autopsy for (for want of a better word ) OPMV was available at the time, theres a really big chance that Nicks snakes were in fact infected with a virus.

heres another one :) how about a photo of your guy?

Attachments

• IMG_1416.jpg
    IMG_1416.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 177
I just have all my heat on timers. I don't use thermostats in with the diamonds, except for the hatchy racks. Hatchies have access to 30 degree 24/7.
Serpent tongues observations were a sad read, and I haven't seen him on here for years but he said he couldn't bring himself to own diamonds again after watching them one by one die of varying symptoms such as brittle and weak bones, tremors etc. If the autopsy for (for want of a better word ) OPMV was available at the time, theres a really big chance that Nicks snakes were in fact infected with a virus.

Ah okay thank you, i'll give that a go, would a standered bunnings one be okay??
And that's a shame such a horrible thing to experience especially with your own diamonds :( such lovely snakes but DPS (or whatever the virus is) could scare anyone off them. Hopefully he has been successful with other snakes poor guy.
one of the few times he sits still! His colors are finally coming through nicely, another great pic of yours btw.

Attachments

• thumbnail_photo.jpg
    thumbnail_photo.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 151
  • thumbnail_photo (1).jpg
    thumbnail_photo (1).jpg
    177 KB · Views: 149
Yes the timers from hardware shops are all I use, they cost about $12. when they die just replace. You can run multiple enclosures off one timer.

Yes the timers from hardware shops are all I use, they cost about $12. when they die just replace. You can run multiple enclosures off one timer.

Ah alright I'll be getting some then, thanks for the info!

Many vets now are more convinced that there is no such thing as DPS. They are much more convinced that the disease is viral. There are more deadly reptile viruses in the country then first believed, as much as metabolic burnout sounds credible, i'm yet to be convinced that it 'has legs' scientifically.

I agree 100%

If I recall, Serpenttongue might have come round to suspecting that the decline in his DPs was some form of infectious agent, probably viral, because there was fairly conclusive evidence that it was transmissable in his collection. It was a while ago however, and it's a pity we've lost a lot of that valuable historic info from long-term hands-on keepers.

Jamie

I must say I aboaultely adore the high yellow diamonds and are probably my favourite of the carpets but DPS has been a big put off factor for me.
[MENTION=4778]cement[/MENTION] and [MENTION=42160]Iguana[/MENTION] both beautiful examples!

I must say I aboaultely adore the high yellow diamonds and are probably my favourite of the carpets but DPS has been a big put off factor for me.
@cement and @Iguana both beautiful examples!

It shouldn't put you off, there are plenty of DPs which live long, healthy lives in captivity. I have to say that keeping them in a suitably situated aviary (morning sun year-round, protection from extremes of heat) outside has a lot of appeal to me.

Jamie

I agree, don't let the thought of Diamond python syndrome put you off keeping them.
They can handle heat, just always give them the opportunity to get away from it when they want. natural earth floor in the avairy is best .. they will use a buried hide box on really hot days and get down in the long grass and ferns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back