Do you guys know your bugs??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NicoleManson

Reaction score
8a438b965e0855e138e47a6f4e9987f2.jpg

A gf wants to know what this bug is she found in her baby's cot!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@NicoleManson. It is not possible to say for certain from that pic but it looks very much like a somewhat damaged Black Soldier Fly. These are harmless (non-biting, non-stinging) insect. They move with a flicking motion rather than fluid movements. These insects are usually associated with compost bins because the decaying vegetation is ideal for their larvae. Here are a couple of pics (from the web) of intact specimens...- - - Updated - - -

Attachments

• Black Soldier Fly.jpg
    Black Soldier Fly.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Hermetia_illucens__Black_Soldier_fly.jpg
    Hermetia_illucens__Black_Soldier_fly.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Hermetia_illucens__Black_Soldier_fly.jpg
    Hermetia_illucens__Black_Soldier_fly.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Black Soldier Fly.jpg
    Black Soldier Fly.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
It has a large stinger thing on its butt too she said lol
I really appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@NicoleManson. If it is a Soldier Fly, then the males have a sperm tube at the end of the abdomen and the females have an ovipositor (egg laying tube). But I personally would not describe either as large. If you can photos of the insect on its back and possibly its side, then we would be much better placed to identify it. There are a number of black wasps that can look similar, but tend to be larger. The wasps seldom ever sit still and look almost ‘nervous’ the way they continually move about. Soldier Flies, on the hand, sit quietly for extended periods of time. Wasps also possess a really tight constriction between the thorax (middle section to which the legs and wings are attached) and the abdomen (main body end of the insect) – known not surprisingly as a “wasp waist”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back