Id please!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stompsy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Was guerneying a house today in preparation for painting and I must have destroyed this guys home. He/she was a little bigger than a 50c coin and after trying to ID, I can't seem to work out what he/she is.

e84396eba99e6aef4ef7c72e9a79c949.jpg

a6e4bcea2b378fac1d0387ca2441093b.jpg

8e34310b951b99efcbc7620194684444.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sort of looks like a white tail, but too heavily built. Maybe a Black House Spider but not too sure either.

There were heaps of black house spiders but it was way bigger than that. I'm not sure if they get that big.

It doesn't look built like a black house either, I'm stumped, but looks like a widow of some sort. I'll keep looking into it, the main thing throwing me off is that white patch on it's abdomen.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait I looked closer and it is just light lol. I'd not rule out black house yet though. We have black houses here around the size of a 50c piece.

I think it's a jumping spider because of it's familiar shape and flat face. If it's got two noticeable enlarged eyes, then it's definitely a jumping spider.

I was thinking Jumping Spider at the last pic, but the front legs aren't typical of one. And the size of a 50c coin is too big for a jumping spider.

Looks like a female Black House spider (Badumna insignis) going by the plump abdomen, shape and colouration. Females can achieve a 30mm legspan so sizing fits too. We get quite a few of these guys around our place as well and I've seen many, large and small of both sexes.

Seconding B. insignis. Definitely not a jumping spider; too big, and leg as well as head shape and size is wrong

I get lots of black house spiders in my kitchen but never seen 1 as big as a 50 cent coin, I leave them alone as they keep the bug population down.

Ok awesome. Safe to assume she's a black house spider. I too have never seen one so big but she must be doing well if she has been able to reach that size. And don't worry, she is still alive and kicking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back