Cunningham's Skinks have different coloured tongues?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahJane

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So recently I noticed that my male and female cunningham's skinks have different coloured tongues. The female has bright pink, whereas the male has blue. Is this typical? I've looked at the male, and he has a clean mouth and seems healthy, but his tongue is quite blue. Thoughts?

Sarah Jane

I was just now watching my lizards eat, and thought I'd bump this thread, as it still intrigues me so. Blue and pink. Anyone have an opinion?

Interesting observation.

I noted a long time ago that Wriggles' tongue was blue (eastern water skink). Saw often while she was guzzling down her water ---- loved her water .

Just wondering if it extends to other skinks too.

Last edited:
Generally skinks tongues are blue, but in some cases can turn out pink (for example in albinos and pink-tongues, though funnily enough there are blue-tongued pinkies) for some reason

Thanks for your thoughts. I was wondering if the colour difference could be a genetic marker for an interesting colour phase.

I'd love to hear from people that keep cunningham's skinks, what colour are their tongues?

Cheers,

Sarah Jane

I will have to double check next time I catch him eating or drinking (he is a bit of a ninja and likes to do so when no one is watching) but I am fairly certain the Lord Smuggington's tongue is pink

I'm quite partial to Cunninghams. Did someone say,"Aaaaaahhh!"

IMG_20160726_144137_807_zpsuz22qvhu.jpg

IMG_20160726_143756_086_zpsqotxh3tu.jpg

IMG_20160726_143411_717_zpsef9tzie6.jpg

IMG_20160726_143315_651_zpsmwade3ya.jpg

IMG_20160726_143049_287_zps4tarxhkd.jpg

IMG_20160726_144501_886_zpsahib1lfk.jpg

Cheers,
Dave.

Wow. Their tongues are all different also haha. Thanks Dave. These are the first Cunningham's Skinks I've owned. I had their glamour shot done recently. 2016_04_reptiles_0214.jpg

Top portrait there... very nicely done!

I have seen two bobtails/shinglebacks with totally pink tongues. Have no idea on what controls it or how it happens.

@Freeloader. Except for the second last photo, they all look like 'Sydney sandstone' locale to me.

Last edited:
The bottom one a sydney sandstone Dave?

Its a New England form, Scott.

From top to bottom the forms in my pics are: Sydney sandstone, New England, Syd Sandstone, Syd sandstone, SEQLD form and lastly a New England. I have been keeping Cunninghams since the late 90's , many trades to acquire these guys over the years. Adding some vic locale animals to the list soon.

Cheers,
Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back