Why You Shouldn't Feed Wild Monitors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saximus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Saw this video last night and thought it would be worth posting here for a bit more reinforcement for those thinking messing around with Lacies is a smart thing to do.

It only just catches her finger but have a look how much blood there is. Imagine what a big one would do if it properly got hold of you...

[video=youtube;38R5GDEn1IE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38R5GDEn1IE[/video]

She was lucky! They can be a problem anywhere there are picnickers & campers, but only because people don't realise how dangerous this sort of familiarity can be.

Jamie

Doesn't look like fun! How silly!

On a random note.... Lovely to see you here Sax!

Lovely looking monitor though.

I'm glad they posted the video up anyway! Hopefully people will learn (although I suspect people will continue to feed the next one they see just not by hand)

This is a scenario that is repeated time after time after time at the picnic tables at Shelly Beach Port Macquarie, there is about 7 or 8 big Lacies that come down out of the rain forest whenever the picnickers are there having a BBQ, when i say big some of them are all of around 2.5 mt and they stand on their hind feet against the seats scabbing whatever food they can get, I personally have not seen anyone get got yet but i am sure it has happened, old Harry that used to live in a caravan at the site used to edumacate people about the dangers of feeding them but he has been in the ground for quite a while now and the only thing to warn people now are signs, and we all know how good signs are. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling

Apparently they were trying to lure the monitor away from the camp site because they had toddlers/kids there. But I'm thinking if you feed it, it's going to stay around. She was lucky it didn't do much damage.

Isn't it illegal to feed the wildlife? No sympathy here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back