Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowman

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Nice! Going to sticky this for a little if that's OK.

that's great news for WA's reptile lovers,now if only the govt. would allow exports of their beautiful critters too!
I would love a couple for my collection.

that's great news for WA's reptile lovers,now if only the govt. would allow exports of their beautiful critters too!
I would love a couple for my collection.

Yeah, agreed, but try living over here. We can't keep any species not found in WA, still can't keep many species which ARE found in WA, can't import any pythons, and can't source the RSP, which is only found naturally in WA but is kept in the thousands elsewhere in Oz. Personally, I'm pretty happy with what I have so I'm not much affected by these limitations, but I know others are a bit frustrated.

It's taken quite a bit of negotiation with DPaW to obtain the additions, and we're grateful for the progress made, we just hope it continues.

S

yeah sorry about the ommission, I did mean a 2 way deal.
Actually it would be great if the various boofocrats could get together and agree on something for once.
Any Australian reptile anywhere in the country!!!!!!

Last edited:
And one set of rules for the country, instead of different permit systems for each state.

Thanks for the post Snowman. It's great that we have got some new species on the list. Too bad they aren't species that I'm particularly interested in.

Dragonlover1, we are allowed to export to other states.

EDIT: Snowman and adderboy, what's involved in trying to convince DPAW to allow us to add more species to the list, if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:
They must really hate depressa, what's this 2nd time with held and is pilbarensis on its 2nd or 1st with held?
At least your slowly getting there I can feel the frustration from over here lol. Well done to those that got the ball started.

Woma also moved down from cat 4 to cat 3 license

[MENTION=21299]dragonlover1[/MENTION], cat 1 is entry level in NSW?

[MENTION=41780]Snowman[/MENTION], First i would like to say welcome home Snowman, the place has not been the same without you.....Secondly if you can keep Childreni and Stimsoni why can't you keep Maculosa's??? surely that has to be a mistake. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling

Ron, maculosa is not a WA endemic, so it can't be kept there. I wouldn't mind a pair of the very high green & red Yellow-faced Whipsnakes from the southern part of their range just north of Perth. I see them all the time around the house here in NSW but they have nothing like the colours of the WA form.

Still, this is the second species-list addition in the recent past, so looks like things are progressing somewhat. Maybe pressure should be brought to bear with regard to python imports - their oft repeated reason of disease potential has a very big hole in it now that Sunshine Virus can be tested for in live animals...

EDIT: Snowman and adderboy, what's involved in trying to convince DPAW to allow us to add more species to the list, if you don't mind me asking?

A lot of work! The WA Herp Society has negotiated both of the list increases with DPaW and that process started more than 7 years ago. DPaW and WAHS don't always agree, as you might expect, and the process can bog down for long periods. I worry that further additions might be some way off. I am happy with what I keep and don't envisage keeping more, and it's possibly the same for others, but WAHS exists for the members and so our efforts will continue.

I doubt we'll be able to keep any species that is not found in WA in my lifetime, though I hold out hopes (faint as they may be) that the python import ban will be relaxed someday.

S

Last edited:
A lot of work! The WA Herp Society has negotiated both of the list increases with DPaW and that process started more than 7 years ago. DPaW and WAHS don't always agree, as you might expect, and the process can bog down for long periods. I worry that further additions might be some way off. I am happy with what I keep and don't envisage keeping more, and it's possibly the same for others, but WAHS exists for the members and so our efforts will continue.

I doubt we'll be able to keep any species that is not found in WA in my lifetime, though I hold out hopes (faint as they may be) that the python import ban will be relaxed someday.

S

Is there any way a regular keeper can help? I'm one of the people who would like more species, I'm afraid. Really appreciate the work you're doing.

Is there any way a regular keeper can help? I'm one of the people who would like more species, I'm afraid. Really appreciate the work you're doing.

+1 also interested

They must really hate depressa, what's this 2nd time with held and is pilbarensis on its 2nd or 1st with held?
At least your slowly getting there I can feel the frustration from over here lol. Well done to those that got the ball started.

They keep saying that it's because of the taxonomy split... But no idea why it's taking so long.

- - - Updated - - -

Ron, maculosa is not a WA endemic, so it can't be kept there. I wouldn't mind a pair of the very high green & red Yellow-faced Whipsnakes from the southern part of their range just north of Perth. I see them all the time around the house here in NSW but they have nothing like the colours of the WA form.

Still, this is the second species-list addition in the recent past, so looks like things are progressing somewhat. Maybe pressure should be brought to bear with regard to python imports - their oft repeated reason of disease potential has a very big hole in it now that Sunshine Virus can be tested for in live animals...

I had a crack at python import now that there is live testing. They still came back with a strong no, even after I said I would sort out a vet to do the assesments. Here is DPaW's reply.

Hi Trent,

Thank you for your email enquiring about the lifting of the ban on importing pythons in to WA as resulted of newly available testing.

As a result of your request I have made a number of enquiries with the Perth Zoo, Murdoch University and Parks and Wildlife ScientistS and it would seem that this test alone is not widely considered conclusive and therefore should be coupled with a comprehensive ‘Risk Analysis’ of any python coming into WA, rather than lifting the ban completely.

The Herpetofauna trade is well represented currently with nine different pythons that can all be sourced from the wild for the pet trade and therefore at this time Parks and Wildlife will be maintaining a ‘Precautionary’ approach and will not be allowing the import of any pythons into WA until a very thorough and robust risk analysis is completed.

At present Parks and Wildlife has no funding available to carry out this study for the pet trade and as a result it would need to be funded by the Herpetofauna industry. I have been advised that it would take a suitably (in that field) qualified veterinary surgeon at least 4-5 days to complete.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to discuss this matter further.

Followed by:

Thank you for your email.

The Department must maintain the precautionary approach in this instance to ensure that we protect the States biodiversity. Therefore we will not be allowing the import of any pythons in to W.A until we have had a very comprehensive and robust assessment of the disease risks and the effective testing method(s).

Therefore, No this is not a single specimen study although each python would have to meet the requirements of any pre import process put in place should it be determined that there is reliable testing available for the range of disease.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to discuss this matter further.

- - - Updated - - -

My aim was to get a few RSP into the state and some albino Darwins.

Failing that others were trying to get Perth Zoo to supply some RSP for the pet trade and we got this.....

In response to your query as to whether we had received any feedback from Perth Zoo regarding captive breeding of Rough Scaled Pythons (RSPs), I can advise as follows.

Perth Zoo advised us that they currently hold 2 male and 2 female RSPs. The 2 males are the sons of one of the females, and the other female is the aunt of those 2 males (i.e. the full sibling of the other female).

On this basis the stock that Perth Zoo currently holds would not be suitable for establishing any sort of captive breeding program from a genetic perspective.

In the past when Perth Zoo actively bred RSPs they sent 2 males to a wildlife park in the Kimberley, 2 unsexed juveniles (now known to both be males) to a wildlife park in the south west and 3 unsexed juveniles (which we now believe to be 2 males and a female) to a metropolitan wildlife park.

We have no record of any other licensed facilities holding RSPs in WA and have not been advised of any breeding from amongst the 3 animals that were sent to the wildlife park in the metropolitan area.

It would therefore be inappropriate to base a breeding program on such a small core of so closely related animals. The Department’s current policy of prohibiting the importation of all boids into WA was recently reaffirmed by the Minister so is likely to continue into the foreseeable future, particularly as the likelihood of a disease outbreak occurring increases directly with the number of animals imported. Consequently, it would seem that there is little prospect of a captive breeding program for RSPs getting off the ground in WA using those animals that are currently in captivity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back