Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha awesome! That is a great sign! She is beginning to feel more confatoble and trusting with you. I reckon a few more weeks she will be a conpletely different monitor to what he was like when hou started this post!

I don't think your tristis was stressed, probably more curious where your fist went. One of our flavi's is next to the hallway, and "she" sits there watching as we go past.

I don't think the forced approach is a good option for u or the monitor as they are opportunistic animals so they are more likely to bite to try and get away plus they will never feel comfortable in there surroundings.
I think the right approach is to give them time once there comfortable things will start to happen. Ive found putting there enclosure in a traffic area in the house will get them use to seeing people in there surroundings and then like pinefamily said get them use to u being in there enclosure once they've accepted them 2 things they will be more tollerent. And might be more likely to let u touch it once they comfortable with u touching them they will be more likely to tolerate being picked up. It took me around 3 mths to get one of my lacies to a point were if i put my arm in his enclosure he would climb onto it. Others might never do it

Yeah . . . So my monitor taming took about a thousand steps back since I last posted. My little ackie escaped (which made me so sad I nearly cried) but it's okay because I found him under my bed a week later (I danced around the house like a lunatic with him in my hand after I found him). However, since he came out from under my bed he's been different. Something changed him down there (please read this in a joking way) and the last time I handled him, he bit me! He's like the tiniest lizard in the world, but he still managed to draw blood - something that astounded me because he had never before tried to bite. You can't even see his teeth! I had gotten him out many times before, and never had that response from him.

Now that I am unable to take him out without this response, my monitor taming technique has changed considerably. I now will just leave my hand in there for long periods of time. One of two things may happen:
1. He may ignore my hand and go back to sleep
2. He will continue foraging and may come over and taste my hand and, if he deigns to do so, may bless my peasant self by putting one foot on my hand, tasting me some more, and then walking away.

He he will usually let me lightly pet his tail, and when trying to pick him up, I can put my hands on either side of him and start to cup him in my hands before he skittles off, but he will just lie there for a while and stick his head to the side, as if saying, "what do you think you are doing?" before he runs away. Today I had to move him to add more sand, and he let me pick up the rock that he was sitting on and move it without having a spaz. Progress. ������

Last edited:
Hey y'all.. reaching out for some monitor peeps here.. need advice and or help.. i have the opportunity to pick up a Yellow Spotted Monitor..and want to knoe what people think of them as A:a good reptile to own B: temperment and sizes tbey grow: enclosure dimensions, things i should consider..basically the Pros n Cons of owing a larger Monitor.. i have held reptiles of all types for over 20yrs (monitors are new too me) so i have the correct understanding and requirements to take on such a specimen.. i don't want to how ever get over my head and not treat her correct.. as the saying goes happy herp happy life :)

As a "noob" monitor keeper, you need to get hold of Danny Brown's "A Guide to Australian Monitors in Captivity"; it's a must for all new monitor keepers.
Is the panoptes a juvenile or adult? Only a very experienced monitor keeper should take on an adult large monitor. Monitors are very intelligent, and, especially the larger species, get to know their keepers.
The varanus panoptes grows to an average length of 140 cm. As such, you have pay due respect and care, even if you have had it from a hatchling. Unless you have a massive area inside, you'll need to keep an adult outside in a large pit or enclosure. Depending on where you live, you'll need to provide heat for it outside.
As a juvenile, it can be kept inside, but the enclosure needs to be deeper than for other reptiles. Monitors love a hot spot from the 50's up. From our own experience, juveniles tend to like it a little cooler, say low to mid 50's, although there is nothing in any literature to confirm this.
I hope this helps.

Piney cheers mate.. i have heaps of stuff ready for a indoor enclosure. I have two basking spots one at 50+ degrees another at around 40+ degrees, plus the cooler areas aswell.. Many hides and places to explore.. i have many different materials to climb/run on. Sand, rocks and pebbles to scratch around in. I work for a steel merchant so im in the process of building a bigger "walk in" cage with the same things as my indoor enclosure (just on a bigger scale)....when i start my new project i will be showing the progress through the welding stages... thanks gain piney for the info and i will grab that Book..

Progress update regarding one of mine:

Lately my flavi George has been coming out daily, whereupon he will perch on my shoulder or head and chill while I do house things, watch Netflix or whatever, sometimes disembarks to explore the room or the couch. Odd little half-hearted hiss here and there but overall seems quite ok with hitching a ride on his large pink scaleless steed. I'm bloody stoked.

Jones on the other hand (the gould's) is just as standoffish as ever. Sad face.

Jealous of the pics of the monitors been held calmly..
I'm still working on my Ackie she doesn't care if I walk around her or be near or at all but pretty well everytime I take her out I get bitten by her
This is the funniest and most painless bite yet
196df26ec3abfcf67491726459007763.jpg

[MENTION=4285]zeke[/MENTION] That's bloody hilarious! Unfortunate but hilarious. My ackie did that to my jumper yesterday, held on for about twenty minutes.

George riding some hoomans:
ed703cc89af385d01a70814a019567fd.jpg

13d51d2244d6e3dd63bc31c49eda95af.jpg

I know aye hahaha it bled like all hell and I even God Afew short vids of her on my ear haha. I've worked out I can get lucky if I take her out in the sun she tends not to bite (as quickly as if I don't)

I've had 2 ackie bites. One when I held one up in front of my nose, it bit the end of my nose. The other time I was picking one up to move it, and it bit the fleshy part of my hand between thumb and forefinger. That one bled a bit.

That's awesome progress, Smitti. I've had little progress so far. In fact, with my two smaller monitors it appears that I've taken a couple of steps back ever since the smallest had the rectal prolapse. Visiting the vets and constantly checking on him for a week to make sure all of his bits were where they should be has really affected him. It seems that his stress has rubbed off on the other one, too. But they're coming back around again to my relief. It shows that in this case forced handling can be very detrimental. It may be worse as they are wild caught too. The largest one is still the same, although lately it has been making sleeping on branches look extremely comfortable. :rolleyes:

I've only been bitten by two monitors thankfully. One bite on the finger from my largest tristis when I first received it, and one from an adult Heath Monitor on my hand when I was removing it from a backyard. That bite sure bled but the worst part was the swelling and stinging that came after. It was still throbbing days later if I remember correctly. It was really riled up as it had got in a fight with a dog and the tip of its tail had been bitten off. Poor critter. But that was a long time ago. Monitors certainly have some mighty bites.

Last edited:
The largest one is still the same, although lately it has been making sleeping on branches look extremely comfortable. :rolleyes:.

Haha! They look ridiculous at times! Such entertaining critters though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha! They look ridiculous at times! Such entertaining critters though.

They may be top predators in their particular niche, but monitors can be such goofballs! My smallest tristis likes to "swim" in the substrate when hunting woodies and when you just see a head randomly poking out of the substrate, with substrate also piled on that head like a pointy hat . . . I really need to get a picture of it one day. :D

Calming or "Taming" Monitor Lizards

They may be top predators in their particular niche, but monitors can be such goofballs! My smallest tristis likes to "swim" in the substrate when hunting woodies and when you just see a head randomly poking out of the substrate, with substrate also piled on that head like a pointy hat . . . I really need to get a picture of it one day. :D

Haha, sounds so much like one of [MENTION=32194]Smittiferous[/MENTION]'s Gouldii's! One of the first pictures he took of him was with a literal mound of substrate on his head. And the more time I spend with his, the more I want one of my own....

00de3302b0b64938fc9d12e63a0147b3.jpg

This isn't said picture but I just came across it while trolling my own Instagram! [emoji14]

Last edited:
Just picked up a female Yellow spotted Sand Monitor.. she is a tad nervous and has hidden much of today (got her y/day) hopefully she settles down well and is able to be handled and not kick up too much of a stink..

Just let it settle in for a day or two. He/she will come out looking for food. Photos are a given, too.:D

Panoptes are awesome monitors, so overrated and arguably just as pretty as flavis. Are the Pilbara panoptes in captivity?

Calming or "Taming" Monitor Lizards

Panoptes are awesome, you have to share some photos! While I was working FIFO the camp in South Hedland was full of them, they'd hang around in the morning snacking on the grasshoppers that would drink from the AC condenser overflows behind the rooms. Brazen little critters. I wish we could get them in Vic :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back