Where has banter been?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interestingly though, the 'there are no poisonous snakes' myth started by snake people may actually have become strong enough to change the dictionary definition so that the myth becomes truth.

Wow that's kinda sad. I'm pretty sure it's the Tiger Keelback that is POISONOUS (and I think slightly venomous) right?

Also (this may actually work and get a reaction), a cross between two subspecies is correctly called a hybrid.

Ooh ooh, also, according to the actual definition of poison/poisonous, other than a small number of recently changed dictionaries, it is 100% correct to call all venomous snakes poisonous. Surely that'll get a bite from someone.

Interestingly though, the 'there are no poisonous snakes' myth started by snake people may actually have become strong enough to change the dictionary definition so that the myth becomes truth.

Agree with all Sdaji's points. I've always found it interesting how people regurgitate a "fact" because it sounds interesting. I remember when people use to think that you could see the great wall of china from space with the naked eye.

The one that use to always get me was when people would insist that a tortoise was not a turtle.

Then I learnt to let things go.

At the end of the day, I can happily accept when someone else is wrong.

Wow that's kinda sad. I'm pretty sure it's the Tiger Keelback that is POISONOUS (and I think slightly venomous) right?

Not just that. All venomous snakes are poisonous. Venom is poison. Any chemical substance with can harm a living thing in any way is a poison. This is according to the dictionary definition of poison. However, just recently, due to pressure from snake folks, some dictionaries have started changing their definitions to make the myth myth truth, which is really quite a shame. It may change in the near future, but it is perfectly correct to call any venomous snake a poisonous snake (although most snake folks will bite your head off and argue and sook). I say venomous rather than poisonous because it's a better term, in the same way that I call a snake a snake and not an animal, but it's still correct to call a snake an animal.

Incidentally, I actually once caught one of those poisonous Keelbacks, incorrectly identified it and freehandled it, pushing its head back into position for pictures while it struck at me! Ooops! I'm a bit more cautious with my foreign snake ID after that! The next snake I caught was in Tokyo (pretty awesome to catch a snake in Toyko!) and despite being 100% sure it was a harmless ratsnake, I didn't freehandle it. Well, that and the fact that it was desperately trying to bite me the entire time, and venomous or not I don't especially like being bitten :p

BrownHash: Yeah, that's a good one, and also toads/frogs, and all the others. You even see memes made by people mocking those who think a tortoise is a turtle or that snakes are poisonous. Of course, try to correct them and they'll lose their spit.

The turtle/tortoise thing... seems to me that now, the term "turtle" is used for all aquatic chelonians, and "tortoise" covers those that live on land, but I remember as a kid, the aquatic (not marine) critters in this country were strictly regarded as tortoises, and you got a smack on the wrist if you referred to them as turtles, although turtle was in common use in the US in those times for freshwater chelonians. I think it was something to do with feet vs flippers at that time.

Been away from the computer for the better part of two weeks, firstly working at a bamboo nursery in Kundabung near Port Macquarie, then down to Katoomba (vexingly cold), where I spent a pleasant but exceptionally bleak day with Bushman looking for herps when it was about -70C with a 300km/h wind... I am truly doubtful whether any reptile would be silly enough to live in that climate ;). Just kidding Patrick, and thanks so much for the time together! One day I'll see a Copperhead in NSW...

Jamie

HUSBANDRY - Don't feed any skink dog or cat food regularly or on a long term basis .... WRONG KINDS of proteins and fats..... let the debate for and against begin .... again ....

- - - Updated - - -

And Donald Trump. No human apart from Don King would have hair like that.

if the yanks elect him , we will all in trouble ....

How long have you been keeping blueys or skinks [MENTION=41275]kingofnobbys[/MENTION]?

- - - Updated - - -

If you have had this debate many times before I'm not sure the point of having it again. ;)

Last edited:
I stayed with a friend last week, a PhD herpetologist who has worked with herps all his professional life, and he told me how he has fed his Blueys nothing but Supercoat dry cat food for the last 5 years and two generations, with excellent health and good breeding outcomes. I'm not a lizard keeper, and my own instincts would tell me to provide as varied a diet as possible, but the animals I saw and held were plump, alert and in great condition. Definitely not taking sides here - Bluey poo is so stinky ;), but maybe for the time-constrained pelleted food is adequate?

Jamie

HUSBANDRY - Don't feed any skink dog or cat food regularly or on a long term basis .... WRONG KINDS of proteins and fats..... let the debate for and against begin .... again ....

I'll bite.

You seem to like to stir the pot my friend and I think your limited experience doesn't place you in a position to make such a comment.

Sorry KON but this information is not quite right. I've kept BTS, SB, EBD and WD on a staple diet of canned dog food for to many years to count and all have maintained excellent health. I have many friends who do similar with the diet for their lizards. I also know first hand that it is the staple diet for large lizards at a lot of the well know wildlife parks.

Cheers,

George.

I'll bite.

You seem to like to stir the pot my friend and I think your limited experience doesn't place you in a position to make such a comment.

Sorry KON but this information is not quite right. I've kept BTS, SB, EBD and WD on a staple diet of canned dog food for to many years to count and all have maintained excellent health. I have many friends who do similar with the diet for their lizards. I also know first hand that it is the staple diet for large lizards at a lot of the well know wildlife parks.

Cheers,

George.

Been in a supermarket lately, there are literally hundreds of variations of "dog food" .... if you use dog food as skink staple food, recommend a brand and type (I'm sure there people who want to try out dog food for their skinks , but don't know which to choose , a poor choice will likely be bad for their skink/s).

Been in a supermarket lately, there are literally hundreds of variations of "dog food" .... if you use dog food as skink staple food, recommend a brand and type (I'm sure there people who want to try out dog food for their skinks , but don't know which to choose , a poor choice will likely be bad for their skink/s).

I've got better things to do with my time than waist it in supermarkets. I let the better half do that. So for anyone interested I usually use Pedigree puppy food but have also found that any puppy food or cat food that doesn't contain fish product is fine.

I've had the popcorn ready for a while now Wally as I was expecting a reply...hahaha.

You'll always get one George.

Indulge if you must....

History is always amusing to view if you know where to look. :facepalm:

After reading everyone's posts I can't believe there is finally a thread free of spelling or grammatical errors. Well I did see one but I let it slide.

Members here must have gone to school recently cause the forum used to be littered with spelling errors that would be frowned upon if you brought them up but since there aren't any now it is OK to mention the lack of them because no one can take offence.

After reading everyone's posts I can't believe there is finally a thread free of spelling or grammatical errors. Well I did see one but I'll let it slide.

Members here must have gone to school recently because the forum used to be littered with spelling errors that would be frowned upon if you brought them up, but since there aren't any now it is OK to mention the lack of them because no one can take offence.

Now you mention it....... :D

Last edited:
After reading everyone's posts I can't believe there is finally a thread free of spelling or grammatical errors. Well I did see one but I let it slide.

Members here must have gone to school recently cause the forum used to be littered with spelling errors that would be frowned upon if you brought them up but since there aren't any now it is OK to mention the lack of them because no one can take offence.

I was learnt to speak proper.

The turtle/tortoise thing... seems to me that now, the term "turtle" is used for all aquatic chelonians, and "tortoise" covers those that live on land, but I remember as a kid, the aquatic (not marine) critters in this country were strictly regarded as tortoises, and you got a smack on the wrist if you referred to them as turtles, although turtle was in common use in the US in those times for freshwater chelonians. I think it was something to do with feet vs flippers at that time.

All of the land tortoises are true tortoises, but they are still turtles, just as pythons are snakes and snakes are reptiles, a tortoise is a turtle. Snakes are actually lizards too, but that's probably getting a bit too far beyond most people's capacity to handle.

The Australian colloquial usage is irrelevant to anything other than Australian slang. Koalas used to be called Koala bears which never had any relevance to whether or not they were true bears.

That's probably what I was trying to say Sdaji - that common usage evolves over time, but is probably "leveling out" and becoming less parochial with the increase in the ease of global communication.

Jackrabbit, I defiantly have to agree with you there;)!

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back