Using heat cord for shallow bodies of water?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smittiferous

Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anyone used or would recommend against using waterproof heat cord to heat shallow (100-150mm) bodies of water? I can't find any compact aquarium heaters at my local suppliers, only large ones that require about 300mm worth of submersion, but I do have a couple of spare, brand new heat cords lying around. They're marked as waterproof, which would suggest they'd be safe...

I'd feel comfortable doing it. The only thing is you'll also need a waterproof thermostat because I imagine a heat cord would get such a small volume of water pretty warm.

You can place an aquarium heater [FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Horizontally on the bottom[/FONT] as long as its a fully submersible type.

Is this for your Mertens, Smittiferous? If so, we used an appropriately powerful aquarium heater as Kalo1993 suggested for our Mertens when they were juveniles.

[MENTION=38465]pinefamily[/MENTION] indeed it is.

I bought a submersible "nano" heater this afternoon, it's 50w and I calculated the water volume to the tune of 65 litres... And they didn't have any submersible 100watt or larger. Supplier fail. Will see how we go.

2 of 50 watt heaters will have a similar effect to 1 of 100 watt heater and you wont have all your eggs in one basket.

2 of 50 watt heaters will have a similar effect to 1 of 100 watt heater and you wont have all your eggs in one basket.
probably give you a move even heat also

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

As luck would have it, the heat lamps for Hades' basking spots seem to have done the trick anyway, heating the water to 26 degrees on the dot. One of the two basking spots is a short length of terracotta pipe that has been sat in the water partly submerged, seems the heat has been dissipating out of the pipe into the surrounding water enough to heat sufficiently, with the filter then distributing it. Happy accident much?

5880935a907573f78ff9940e952e4412.jpg

e6f3f2094ed31aa51abcb178498bc80a.jpg

Never mind the bricks/pavers etc, temporary residence until I finish the feature rock wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back