Philips spot globes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pinefamily

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
There have been rumours around about Bunnings no longer stocking the Philips brand spot globe. The photo shows my local store. Another was the same, so we went to 2 others in Adelaide and bought the lot. uploadfromtaptalk1465867259490.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Hey Darren, you know production/importation stopped 2(?) years ago when the govt banned incandescant globes,we have been living on stockpiles which are fast running out.
Buy every one you see
Cheers Rick

That might explain the reply I got from Philips Australia: contact the Philips distributor. :?

- - - Updated - - -

So we have a stockpile now, but what's the replacement globe?

Everything is going led so there will be an led version, fluoro and led don't give enough heat that's why I went with heat radiator/panels on recent enclosures I built. high up front cost but amount I spend replacing globes on my other snakes enclosures...

I have heard that some halogen globes give off enough heat, but from my own experimenting, I have yet to find one that does.

That might explain the reply I got from Philips Australia: contact the Philips distributor. :?

- - - Updated - - -

So we have a stockpile now, but what's the replacement globe?

that's the scary part....compact globes might supply "equivalent lighting " but DO NOT supply heat which is what we as reptile keepers need

So if I understand this correctly, once the stockpile is gone, our only alternatives for spot heat via lighting will be the extremely overpriced bulbs sold in pet shops? I would imagine the ban of manufacture and importation would extend to those too, yes? And does this extend to Mercury vapour bulbs?

There have been rumours around about Bunnings no longer stocking the Philips brand spot globe. The photo shows my local store. Another was the same, so we went to 2 others in Adelaide and bought the lot. View attachment 318397

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
i was in bunnings a couple of weeks back and they had plenty!! maybe i need to make a stock pile of these bulbs. i find the only ones i need are the 60w. or it might be time to put the bulbs on dimming thermostats so i can use larger bulbs

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

So if I understand this correctly, once the stockpile is gone, our only alternatives for spot heat via lighting will be the extremely overpriced bulbs sold in pet shops? I would imagine the ban of manufacture and importation would extend to those too, yes? And does this extend to Mercury vapour bulbs?
not sure about the MVB's but all other incandescent globes are banned

- - - Updated - - -

I have heard that some halogen globes give off enough heat, but from my own experimenting, I have yet to find one that does.

I have 1 enclosure that runs a GU10 downlight and get good temps

My local Masters has cartons full of Phillips incandescent globes. Probably why they are broke! And dont forget those party globes too! They work just as well. Look out for the Crompton brand too for a cheaper option (but still does the same job).

Thanks pine family! I just bought 16 2 packs of 100w but could only find 1 packet of 60w. Bunnings in narrabeen still has 100w globes if anyone local is panicking!!!

bunnings aren't the only ones who stock them .... there are other places who BTW ARE CHEAPER .

Coles, Big W, Mitre10, True Value Hardware, Wide World of Lights, IGA and Kmart are some more I've bought from in the past (last 2 years)

I've used 50w GU10 globes in the past with a ceramic adaptor but wasn't confident in the adaptors as one unscrewed apart once as I was replacing a globe. I've stopped using again now but might be an option down the track, but would prefer to change out the whole fitting.

Coles, Big W, Mitre10, True Value Hardware, Wide World of Lights, IGA and Kmart are some more I've bought from in the past (last 2 years)
For some time now, Coles, Woolworths, and Big W here in SA haven't had the Philips spot globes. The brands they do have don't have a comparable product unfortunately.

I've used 50w GU10 globes in the past with a ceramic adaptor but wasn't confident in the adaptors as one unscrewed apart once as I was replacing a globe. I've stopped using again now but might be an option down the track, but would prefer to change out the whole fitting.
Don't use adaptors,use a 1 piece ceramic base

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back