BTS chasing reflection in glass

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawlo

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm very new to reptiles, (5 days) I did lots of research and made a purchase, a young eastern blue tongue, he's very friendly and is healthy and eating etc, but tonight I noticed he was trying to scale the glass and was hissing at the glass, dunno why it's kinda random that he's just started now but anyway just wondering if it's alright or if I should stop him from doing it, if so how would I go about stopping him cheers
Dan
PS go easy on me I'm 14 [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"He" sees what he thinks is another BTS in there with him .... lol .... quite normal behaviour , he's probably also still a bit relocation stressed too which will make him a bit grumpy.

You can remove "the other ghost lizard" by lining the bottom part of the walls with cardboard or paper .... no more ''ghost" lizard staring back at him where-ever he looks.

Give us a run down on how you've set him up ...

uv lighting and distance from him for it
basking light
temperatures (cool zone, warm zone , basking spot)
duration lights/heat are on each day
bedding
size of tank
feeding schedule (when and what)
water dish (how deep is water)

experienced bts keepers here can likely spot any problems if they have the above information.

Last edited:
Is the tank in a busy area? If so for a reptile in a new environment, that can stress them out and cause that behavior. A towel or sheet thrown over the front of the cage for a few days can help him settle in. Although I'd try kingofnobbys method first.

Welcome to the world of BTS :) Great choice for a first reptile. We do like pics too when you get a chance...

I remember rescuing a BTS family when I was a lot younger (Dad, Mum and Baby) and the baby would be the most aggressive out of the lot! Survival instinct I put it down too but it soon calmed down as it grew older. I eventually released them back into a similar environment away from from the bulldozers and feral cats. Beautiful animals! Albeit a little stinky! lol

Thanks for the welcome his enclosure isn't the greatest (an old aquarium that leaks) we have it a good wash and all that sort of stuff, he has a few hides, a couple rocks to sleep/climb on (he loves climbing lol) he's got half rock half aspen flooring, rocks on warm side (33 degrees) aspen on cooler side (24 degrees) We have an OzPurple globe that's about 15cm from his basking rock, he seems to like that and spends most of his day there, the tank has a 5% uv tube, I switch the tube off as its getting dark outside, then turn the lamp off when it's pitch black outside, our house is usually fairly warm (23-27) at night, the tank size is 3.5 foot long x 2.5 wide, I feed him every second night and a mix between Apple, chicken (his favourite) meal worms and banana ( he hates crickets witch I've never heard of with blueys) he has a reptile water bowl, (about 35mm deep maybe a bit under, and it's about 150mm either way but in a rough circular shape, the tanks not in a busy area and there's no one home (9-4) most days, I'll get pictures up soon aswell

Hey [MENTION=42446]Rawlo[/MENTION]. Does your bluey have a name?

A few suggestions:
- Switch the feed to mornings - you can leave the bowl in there in the morning before you go to school and he'll come out and eat it during the day when he's warm enough. Then he has the rest of the day to bask under the heat to help him digest his meal.
- Banana is more an occasional treat than a staple, and chicken is good but I suggest that you don't rely on chicken as the only protein source - they do well with other meats. Dog food helps here, and also contains animal by products which I think is actually good for them. I suggest you also mix some calcium+d3 supplement into his food. All this is to prevent metabolic bone disease.
- Blueys are pretty slow moving really so some don't go for crickets (can't be bothered!).
- Can you add another hide up the cooler end as well? Anything will do - an old toilet roll, tissue box, small cardboard box or whatever you have.

Looking forward to seeing some pics. :)

Okay will do thanks for the advice, what are people's advice for posting pics, it doesn't want to work

And his name is Barry The Blue Tounge

a74833e6f04bc29085043c38e8120df4.jpg
3d5ecaf2fdff10aa6d227229194d1aca.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back