Tristis localities

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie_monitors

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I know there's a few pics and info already on here, but just wanting to see some new pics of tristis and their localities. Does anyone keep any nice northern localities? Maybe even start a tristis thread?

Not sure of the locality but here's our tristis orientalis. uploadfromtaptalk1466036355497.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

@Oshkii has some stunning Tristis, Perth locale I think

That I do. I don't have any new pictures of them unfortunately. What I would find interesting in the difference between Varanus tristis localities is not only colour, but their size, weight and their ability to cope with the different climates that they inhabit. My largest tristis is roughly 90cm total length and weighs roughly 470grams, if I recall correctly. It was a while ago since I was able to measure it.

Here's the link to an interesting thread on Varanus tristis localities.

Last edited:
These aren't my photos, nor my animals, but I thought it was worth sharing them. Some nice wild south west Black Headed Monitors (Varanus tristis tristis). They were sourced here.

imgp1095.jpg
pa170081.jpg

Last edited:
I wasn't aware the tristis tristis got that big, or is that only in the SW WA locale?

Your "standard" Alice Springs (female, I believe) and a young Coober Pedy :)

Attachments

• AS tristis 004.jpg
    AS tristis 004.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 167
  • tristis 15.07.15 001.JPG
    tristis 15.07.15 001.JPG
    296 KB · Views: 163
  • tristis 15.07.15 007.jpg
    tristis 15.07.15 007.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 167
  • Coober Pedy T 003.JPG
    Coober Pedy T 003.JPG
    239.1 KB · Views: 159
  • Coober Pedy T 012.JPG
    Coober Pedy T 012.JPG
    392.8 KB · Views: 163
  • CP tristis 001.JPG
    CP tristis 001.JPG
    393.2 KB · Views: 161
I wasn't aware the tristis tristis got that big, or is that only in the SW WA locale?

It would appear that 90cm is the maximum length. There's no evidence I can find that states that the south west specimens are larger than other populations of Varanus tristis tristis.

Quoted from some books in my possession:

"Head and body length 20 to 30cm. Total length 60 to 80cm".
- Australian Goannas by Matt Vincent and Steve Wilson. Here, the sizes between subspecies are not specified.

"TL (total length) 76cm".
- A Complete Guide to Reptiles of Australia by Steve Wilson and Gerry Swan. Sizes here are also not specified between subspecies.

" . . . the Black-headed Monitor V.tristis measures 300mm SVL".
- A Guide to . . . Australian Lizards in Captivity by Dr Danny Brown. It's also mentioned in here that orientalis is smaller.

". . . range in size from Varanus tristis orientalis to 60cm, to the giant black-headed phase of Varanus tristis tristis, which attains a length of 90cm".
- Keeping and Breeding Australian Lizards edited by Mike Swan.

"Total adult length to 80cm".
- Reptiles and Frogs of the Perth Region by Brian Bush, Brad Maryan, Robert Browne-Cooper, and David Robinson.

"A medium sized monitor, total length up to 75cm".
- Guide to the Wildlife of Perth and the South West, a Simon Nevill Publications.

I may have the opportunity to measure and weigh my animals soon as I will be redoing some enclosures. I don't mean to spam the thread but I can post up the measurements if you like.

It would appear that 90cm is the maximum length. There's no evidence I can find that states that the south west specimens are larger than other populations of Varanus tristis tristis.

Quoted from some books in my possession:

"Head and body length 20 to 30cm. Total length 60 to 80cm".
- Australian Goannas by Matt Vincent and Steve Wilson. Here, the sizes between subspecies are not specified.

"TL (total length) 76cm".
- A Complete Guide to Reptiles of Australia by Steve Wilson and Gerry Swan. Sizes here are also not specified between subspecies.

" . . . the Black-headed Monitor V.tristis measures 300mm SVL".
- A Guide to . . . Australian Lizards in Captivity by Dr Danny Brown. It's also mentioned in here that orientalis is smaller.

". . . range in size from Varanus tristis orientalis to 60cm, to the giant black-headed phase of Varanus tristis tristis, which attains a length of 90cm".
- Keeping and Breeding Australian Lizards edited by Mike Swan.

"Total adult length to 80cm".
- Reptiles and Frogs of the Perth Region by Brian Bush, Brad Maryan, Robert Browne-Cooper, and David Robinson.

"A medium sized monitor, total length up to 75cm".
- Guide to the Wildlife of Perth and the South West, a Simon Nevill Publications.

I may have the opportunity to measure and weigh my animals soon as I will be redoing some enclosures. I don't mean to spam the thread but I can post up the measurements if you like.

I have heard of some captive animals obtaining over a metre in length

Its mostly a SW WA thing

Is there any literature or evidence that supports this? The Perth specific literature states that they remain of average lengths between 75-80cm total length. If they grew larger than the average length then would it not be stated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back