Frozen rats/mice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanJungle

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering how long frozen food items should stay good for? Also whats the best way to store them? Clip lock,Vacsealed?

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Ziplocks are probably good for 12 months, but you need to be sure that your freezer is working well, at least -18C. Many older-style home freezers that are inside the fridge itself are not very efficient. I used to vac-pack mine and have used them up to 2 years later without problems. When vac-packing pinks or fuzzies you need to freeze them solid first and vac them quickly before they soften, or they just go to mush inside the bag when they're vacced.

Jamie

Storage life depends upon the quality of the storage and the quality of the item at the time of going into storage. Over time frozen food gradually dehydrates so air/water tight packing prevents that. I have never done it but suspect you could feed off a frozen rodent after 10 years in the freezer. We used to export meat to Europe- venison actually. After 2 years from processing it was ineligible for export, but we would then reprocess by mincing it and the clock would start again so that could be 4 years old by the time it got to Europe. I am not sure what happened then, but wouldn't be surprised if another year passed before it was consumed.

Storage life depends upon the quality of the storage and the quality of the item at the time of going into storage. Over time frozen food gradually dehydrates so air/water tight packing prevents that. I have never done it but suspect you could feed off a frozen rodent after 10 years in the freezer. We used to export meat to Europe- venison actually. After 2 years from processing it was ineligible for export, but we would then reprocess by mincing it and the clock would start again so that could be 4 years old by the time it got to Europe. I am not sure what happened then, but wouldn't be surprised if another year passed before it was consumed.

Maybe that's why Britain wants to leave the Eurozone Wokka :lol:!

Jamie

- - - Updated - - -

Following on from what Wokka said, I've got large, old rats that have been in the freezer for 2+years, kept at -22C, that I use for a couple of big old intergrades. Their paws & tail are a bit freeze-dried, but that's only dehydration, they're not "off." Astronauts eat freeze-dried stuff for months... it's fine.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back