First batch of silkworms on blanched then frozen then thawed mulberry leaves.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks to my darling 5 yo grandson's temper tantrum on the last day of his 4 day last sleep over at poppy's/granny's place a couple of weeks ago - he has discovered light and power point switches - he'd turned off the bulk food fridge/freezer in the spare room (where my silkworms eggs were in the fridge door) , food started thawing and the fridge zone was quite warm when we discovered he'd turned the unit off a bit over a day later.
So I've had no choice but to hatch my eggs (over 3,000 of them I reckon), about 2/3 have hatched so far , starting on Sunday), been chilled since Feb 2016.

Fortunately I have chow on hand if I need it, and I'd blanched about 4 shopping bags full of fresh mulberry leaves after I'd used my last silkworm of the season, these had been frozen since the end of Apr 2016.

Seems the blanched => frozen => thawed ==> patted dry leaves are quite edible by the baby worms, have been keeping very well in the worm tub (only starting to feel dry after 4 days, and no sign of mould).... I think blanched then frozen mulberry leaves are a success based on how things are going, certainly a good option for hatching and raising silkworms in the off-season.

I suppose my next experiment will be blanching my Xcess silkworms as I'll never be able use to all the worms I've got as feeders for my small family of lizards.

Last edited:
Id be more them happy to take a few hundred from you to ease your burden :)

Id be more them happy to take a few hundred from you to ease your burden :)
LOL

it could come my offloading some as they get bigger...

- - - Updated - - -

Update :

Starting to skeletonise the leaves now :)

I've finally removed the first leaf after 6 days, dry but no sign of mould. Tried refreshing it with light mist and soak with water , then patted dry and softened up nicely , so back in at one end of the tub .... will see if the worms like the refreshed blanched leaf.

Last edited:
so far so good, removed that 1st leaf , now partly eaten and very crispy today, still no sign of any white or yellow mould - a good sign , and worms are still alive .... :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back