New additions!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only ever seen captive animals but they are pretty animals, can't wait till I see a wild one in the ACT!

Can't keep them in Vic at this stage, Stompsy, which seems ridiculous to me as they are found in the west of the State. I've seen one in the ACT in 25 years, near Tidbinbilla.

Can't keep them in Vic at this stage, Stompsy, which seems ridiculous to me as they are found in the west of the State. I've seen one in the ACT in 25 years, near Tidbinbilla.

What a damn shame. As soon as I move I'll be researching what monitors I can and can't keep in Victoria before securing my first and I really love these ones!! Hopefully one day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard, did you lose power in the storms? And how did you keep them warm if you did?

Yes and they were fine for the few hours we lost power, being a cold climate sp, even came out for a feed later in the evening when we got power back. Personally, I think they do better in a cold climate than even Lacies, given they are abundant on KI. Here they are, basking at 14C in the Adelaide Hills climate...tough buggers.

IMG_7649 (2).jpg

I think that we tend to wrap our critters in cotton wool sometimes, especially the temperate species. I have a friend in the Blue Mountains whose Diamonds are kept outside and he tells me they are out basking on days when the temperatures are in the low single digits...

Beautiful robust adults i-v!

Jamie

Since loosing probably my favourite lace monitor a few seasons ago here in the Hills to the cold overnight temps, I try to err on the side of caution and brumate everything inside now, including these guys.

Hey guys this is random but how do I post a forum please? Can on work out how to reply which is why I'm here now :p thank you!

My tristis monitors receive no additional heating (except for the hot spot) and yet they still come out to bask for a couple of hours even when the ambient temperature is in its low teens. They have no heating at night, and sometimes it can drop into the single digits.

When I was a kid there was a Heath Monitor pinching some chickens and I caught it, as we were planning on moving it to the national park not far from our property. We left it in a dog carrier outside over night and next morning there was frost. My dad got up before me and he thought the monitor was dead as it did not react at all when he walked by or touched it. He wanted to dispose of it so I wouldn't get upset so he took it out to the bush and then laid its stiff, cold body on the ground. As soon as he got back to the ute, however, the monitor shot off! Talk about tough.

Last edited:
Sooooooo there is a LACE monitor for sale in the next suburb from my place $350..(which i can screw them down on) in reading up on you all here at APS and the Internet etc i could be over my head with this.. however my love affair with Monitors is growing stronger and stronger...
Advice guys/girls on owning one.. pros n cons

Peace Murphy

add me on instagram murph_BTK

You have a large monitor already, don't you Murph? That would be my main caveat to buying a lacie, it should never be a first large monitor purchase. How old is it? Buying an older one can have the problem of it not wanting to know you, apart from tailwhipping and biting. Richard had one that he bought from someone that was like that. Yet the original owner could handle it no problem.

You have a large monitor already, don't you Murph? That would be my main caveat to buying a lacie, it should never be a first large monitor purchase. How old is it? Buying an older one can have the problem of it not wanting to know you, apart from tailwhipping and biting. Richard had one that he bought from someone that was like that. Yet the original owner could handle it no problem.
haha,yeah you have to work your way up.my son bought a gillens as his first and wants a lacie.....eventually

Piney i own a yellow spotted and Black headed.. both i regard as mid range monitor? I have made some ground with my Black headed with feeding and being in his cage his calmed down heaps working on letting him roam the room and enjoy some leg stretching ;) my yellow spotted forget it shes a psycho!!! And hates me.. hahaha..

Yellow spotted monitors are probably regarded as large monitors, although not as big as lacies obviously. If yours is "psycho" as you suggest, that is probably a good training towards owning a lacie, lol.

Yellow spotted monitors are probably regarded as large monitors, although not as big as lacies obviously. If yours is "psycho" as you suggest, that is probably a good training towards owning a lacie, lol.
Hahaha.. yeah she hates me anywhere near her enclosures... and if she has been basking and fully charged from the sun.. well engage maniac mode... i will try and capture some stuff on my GoPro now i have the correct mounts for it.... i am trying to get my monitors onto mince and steak pieces to break the diet of rats mice and insects.. but that this stage its a grab shake the hell out of it and slam it against the walls then leave it for me to clean up...any suggestions

Chicken necks (chopped or whole, depending on the size of the monitor) usually go down a treat. We found mince was too messy when they got to a certain size.

I think that we tend to wrap our critters in cotton wool sometimes, especially the temperate species. I have a friend in the Blue Mountains whose Diamonds are kept outside and he tells me they are out basking on days when the temperatures are in the low single digits...

Beautiful robust adults i-v!

Jamie

Too right Jamie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back