Reptiles down under

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
($38 for three 120gm rats at our local Petbarn

petbarn are a bloody rip off came in and bought out my local petstore and start charging $22 for a jumbo rat luckily found another pet store that sells them for 11.50 per jumbo rat.. (Until they are bought out by petbarn)

Last edited:
petbarn are a bloody rip off came in and bought out my local petstore and start charging $22 for a jumbo rat luckily found another pet store that sells for them for 11.50 per jumbo rat.. (Until they are bought out by petbarn)

Purchased 10 pinkie rats for Winston yesterday for $35. Never again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hopper mice cost me $20 lol not bad compared to other peoples "deals" ll

Herp Trader charges to advertise and they are not as popular as APS etc when it comes to searching particular reptiles for sale.

As for the downward spiral of the reptile industry, I'm not surprised with the amount of fly-by, wanna-be reptiles keepers that get on sales sites and offer ridiculous prices for reptiles that are well under the normal asking price. This is what has slowly killed the hobby and it's profit margins for all long-term keepers/breeders to help in the up-keep of these animals. It's just not worth the pittens you get for the amount of effort, time and cost of keeping these beautiful animals.

I remember when Albino Darwins were 7k ea, what are they now... $500 ea. Those that have been in the industry long-term, would agree that is just pathetic, especially when you can still look at these beautiful and rare animals and think how can such a low price of $500 justify the costs, time, up-keep and the safety of placing these animals into the hands of people that can barely afford the $500 let alone the cost of feeding them, vet bills, maintenance etc.

So well done to all the cheap skates out there for ruining what was a thriving hobby, you know who you are!

P.S. And it's not about lining our pockets with the big dollars, about ensuring these animals go to a good home with people that can afford to pay a top end price and can afford to look after them correctly. It also cements a long-term commitment in keeping these animals correctly and for the survival of the hobby. Hence why so many reptile sites are disappearing!

I don't think a small financial commitment from members using the various reptile websites is a bad thing. Websites don't operate on zero cost.

There was a time when Herp Trader had significant traffic through it. It wasn't all that long ago either.

I don't think a small financial commitment from members using the various reptile websites is a bad thing. Websites don't operate on zero cost.

There was a time when Herp Trader had significant traffic through it. It wasn't all that long ago either.

Agreed Wally.

I would not have a problem paying any reptile site top dollar, if I knew my initial payment to the site was going to get paid back after the sale had gone through successfully. But with the a*se fallen out of the hobby, the cost of up-keep etc and the droves of disrespectful penny thieves that still try to drop your original asking price, is just not a profitable option anymore.

petbarn are a bloody rip off came in and bought out my local petstore and start charging $22 for a jumbo rat luckily found another pet store that sells them for 11.50 per jumbo rat.. (Until they are bought out by petbarn)

Up until last year I was buying most of my 140g rats from my local pet store for $7.20 each (which I thought was ok, not great but ok). Then Petbarn took over and started selling THE SAME RATS for $17.50 each!! Same brand, same size, same colour, same packaging.... More than double the original price. Disgusting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back