Bout time greyhound racing was banned ....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, I hope all of the states follow the lead of NSW and ACT.

Be careful what you wish for. The keeping of reptiles is viewed rather dimly by the same type of people that are now celebrating greyhound racing's demise in NSW.

Blame the animal for the humans obsession... sigh..

As a rather passionate Advocate for the fair treatment of domestic animals (Especially dogs) this is some of the best news i've heard in a while, Now we just ban other animals abused for human entertainment and i can sleep easy, Unfortunately due to human nature if their can be a profit made from exploiting a resource that is abundant, We will do it. Lets just hope Illegal greyhound racing doesn't become a thing.

Banning greyhound racing on misrepresented facts makes no sense. I hate greyhound racing and was subjected to it from a child into an adult and know for a fact that live baiting was only done by a select few morons, the majority of greyhound owners treated their dogs with great care. As for the disposal of dogs that are too slow to race I'd like to see proof that killing them was as wide spread as they say. Look at the facts that have since come out in the paper, the report that Mike Baird has based his action on had 7 major flaws. 1 flaw was to use the case of greyhound racer who was quoted as saying that he drowned pups that were too slow. That person turned out to be a greyhound racer in the U.S.A not Australia. I hate greyhound racing because it's just not my thing but people should be free to pursue sports and hobbies when done ethically. If you find the ban on greyhound racing acceptable then swap the topic for reptile ownership and re-evaluate the logic. Would you be happy for Mike Baird to ban a Native animal keepers licence because people feed live foods to reptiles, kill deformed or low grade prodginy that doesn't meet their standard, owning exotic species and native animals off licence, the connection of ownership to people in the drug trade etc. Take a look at you tube at people who post feeding of live prey for amusement. Just because some people don't like other peoples chosen sports or hobbies they need to learn to acceptance. If the ban on greyhound racing is accepted then it's a flow on effect as people push for bans on other sports and hobbies. I see the push from narrow minded people about reptile ownership so this ban is only adding fuel to the fire.

It seems to me that it's a case of a great deal of people who are passionate about their animals and the sport are being punished for the disgusting acts of a few.

I wonder how many of those that have posted have had any involvement in the sport itself?

My brother any many of his friends breed and race greyhounds and have done so for many many years. Sure, like any sport or hobby involving animals there are going to be bad eggs but the vast majority that are involved see their dogs as family members and respect and treat them in a manor that could best be described as passionate.

These dogs love to race, it's part of their make up and natural instinct and any one who has witnessed their enthusiasm on race days can attest to this.

Strict regulation on aspects of the sport such as the number of litters allowed to be produced and goal sentences for anyone convicted of live baiting are two that come to mind and should be implemented.

If we are going to take the ethical and moral high ground regarding sports or hobbies involving animals shouldn't we also consider our own hobby? When viewed from outside the hobby, couldn't keeping reptiles in captivity be looked at as just being for our own pleasure and entertainment?

Do we ban all sports, hobbies and business pursuits that involve animals? What about dog trials and dog shows? Pig racing (as seen at agricultural shows), horse racing, steeple chasing, cattle drafting, show jumping, rodeos, animals bred for food, animals bred for the domestic pet trade, the list is endless and could very well include the hobby of keeping reptiles.

What's moral and ethical about the armed forces breeding and engaging bomb detection dogs?

No doubt there are bad eggs involved in all these mentioned above so should the vast majority that do the right thing ethically and morally be punished for the acts of a few.

That's my rave over.

Cheers,

George.

Last edited:
Some good points from apprenticegnome and GBWhite. I still stand by what I said about jumps racing though; unnecessarily cruel.

And look how they banned dwarf tossing as well..... ;) :lol:

I have a "rescued" greyhound and have done a lot of research into the industry. I believe a big problem is the excessive wastage, Australia wide they kill somewhere in the region of 15,000 dogs a year due to so called wastage. My girl was walked into a vet with her sister to be put to sleep because she would not chase the lure.
They had to plead with the owner to let them hand her over to a rescue organisation for refining. Thank goodness he agreed as she is the perfect pet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grrrrrrrrrr, just another case of the minority's behavior affecting the majority's enjoyment, instead of putting all the tax $'s made through the T.A.B. in extra enforcement officers and handing out bigger fines and suspensions to offenders they just throw a blanket over the entire industry and say it is "ALL" bad, and the best way to treat the situation is to take it out of the too hard basket and throw the whole thing in the bin, it is disgusting just like the car modification people, (of which i was 1 when i was younger) i just hope Baird does not create a knee jerk reaction within the other states and more sensible heads prevail.

I have seen in person the terrible way some breeders and trainers of Greyhounds have live baited their dogs with cats possums and wabbits and in every instance i have reported them to RSPCA, the Greyhound Racing Board, the local council and local and federal members, and in every case there was never anything done about it so these cretins just got to go about their business as usual, when i queried the authorities that i had reported it to about the lack of action the response was the same from all of them they lacked the man power to do the investigations and unfortunately could not do anything about it unless they caught them in the act, I asked them if i supplied photographic evidence would it help to make a difference and they said that as i was not an officer of any of the aforementioned organisations it would not be of any help, so it is little wonder why this cancer has eaten away at the industry.

Baird had better have a look at the bigger picture here and look at how many tax paying people are legally involved in the greyhound racing industry and how many family's are going to be put to the wall financially if he continues to press for it's ban, and then how many more people are going to be put on the Government tit because there sole form of income is going to be destroyed by this insane decision. Rant over sorry. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling

As a rather passionate Advocate for the fair treatment of domestic animals (Especially dogs) this is some of the best news i've heard in a while, Now we just ban other animals abused for human entertainment and i can sleep easy, Unfortunately due to human nature if their can be a profit made from exploiting a resource that is abundant, We will do it. Lets just hope Illegal greyhound racing doesn't become a thing.

Jack, does that include the keeping of reptiles in glass cages? Not having a dig, just pointing out there's a razor thin, and often blurred line between whats acceptable and whats not. Many see keeping any animal in captivity as 'abuse'. I'm sure most people are happy to see the ban on greyhound racing, I do have sympathy for the people who's lives, and livelihood it has affected

Greyhounds are extremely intelligent , affectionate social dogs. They need stimulation and regular attention to be happy and healthy. As for reptiles , as long as they have adequate space, water, food and correct temperatures they thrive in captivity without any social interaction. I am all for the ban on Greyhound racing. I know not all trainers are guilty of what's been reported but for such a small industry the amount of cruel and corrupt practices warrants the total ban of Greyhound racing.

I own whippets and while I am not educated on this topic to make a statement (especially on a kind of political and sensitive one it would be inappropriate, I am kinda neutral anyways) I will say while they are very fast and intelligent dogs, most of their time is spent lazing around and sleeping, so a life of full physical activity for both greyhounds and allies would be fairly enjoyable in some aspects but they need their rest. I also think it is stupid that thousands are killed each year because they "don't make the cut."
*Trigger warning*
Why can't we apply that ****ed up logic to human beings :lol: or cats :rolleyes:

Greyhounds are extremely intelligent , affectionate social dogs. They need stimulation and regular attention to be happy and healthy. As for reptiles , as long as they have adequate space, water, food and correct temperatures they thrive in captivity without any social interaction. I am all for the ban on Greyhound racing. I know not all trainers are guilty of what's been reported but for such a small industry the amount of cruel and corrupt practices warrants the total ban of Greyhound racing.

I dare say the amount of cruelty that's been the cause of the ban is most likely only the tip of the iceberg , I would wager that their are many other mass killing fields of this kind of dog all over Australia on "friendly" farms or off in the bush (many of which will never be discovered). I will remind you that is the same industry that has regularly been involved in blooding their dogs using live animals (rabbits, declawed cats, piglings etc) because it enhances the dogs' willingness to give chase.

Fox hunting using packs of hounds was banned for a similar reason.

Surely if the dogs were "not up the grade" or simply wouldn't chase, they could easily have been found homes with families who want a dog as a pet rather than as a income stream - if they are such wonderful social dogs (that is).

I still think it's high time this "industry" was shutdown and banned. I for one would be pleased if this breed of dog were to become extinct here in Australia, along with a few other purpose bred hunting breeds of dogs.

I have zero sympathy for those who are involved in the industry.

Last edited:
Where's the proof of thousands of dogs killed? Where's the proof of the ones being killed because they were slow? You wager that there are many more killing fields across Australia undiscovered, so you are basing your belief on pure speculation. It is the actions of the few bad eggs that are effecting the many morally and ethically legit people in the sport. The more this gets reported in the paper the more it looses credibility. Keinbah kennels has the first reported mass grave site in Australia according to a newspaper I read yesterday. Going on the facts reported it ESTIMATES 99+ dogs killed. It also states they SUSPECT the dogs died by either a blunt blow to the back of the head or gunshot. Where did they get the figures for the other 67,900 dogs killed in 12 months? Facebook? Aren't they sure if it's a bullet hole or a blunt force injury? Too much speculation with too little fact. I feel I am definitely qualified to pass opinion on this topic being that I was subjected to greyhound racing from the late 70's onwards. I have seen blooding in the hunter region twice and at the well known track only 1 dog participated whilst at least 7 other people with dogs waited for it to be over so they could use the lure instead. Blooding rampant? Hardly. Acceptable? Not at all. Punish the criminal not the citizen. Seems some people just think about themselves and not consider others when it comes to supporting a ban.

Where's the proof of thousands of dogs killed? Where's the proof of the ones being killed because they were slow? You wager that there are many more killing fields across Australia undiscovered, so you are basing your belief on pure speculation. It is the actions of the few bad eggs that are effecting the many morally and ethically legit people in the sport. The more this gets reported in the paper the more it looses credibility. Keinbah kennels has the first reported mass grave site in Australia according to a newspaper I read yesterday. Going on the facts reported it ESTIMATES 99+ dogs killed. It also states they SUSPECT the dogs died by either a blunt blow to the back of the head or gunshot. Where did they get the figures for the other 67,900 dogs killed in 12 months? Facebook? Aren't they sure if it's a bullet hole or a blunt force injury? Too much speculation with too little fact. I feel I am definitely qualified to pass opinion on this topic being that I was subjected to greyhound racing from the late 70's onwards. I have seen blooding in the hunter region twice and at the well known track only 1 dog participated whilst at least 7 other people with dogs waited for it to be over so they could use the lure instead. Blooding rampant? Hardly. Acceptable? Not at all. Punish the criminal not the citizen. Seems some people just think about themselves and not consider others when it comes to supporting a ban.

I don't know or really care where you are plucking those numbers from.

Also witnessing and doing nothing to stop the practice is equivalent to supporting the practice of blooding IMO. Had they personally been opposed to the practice they would have reported the incident/s and taken steps to have those involved removed permanently from their industry. Another reason why they now can expect zero sympathy from me.

Majority of the people who have greyhounds (nearly all) are in it for the winnings they expect / hope to gain from their dogs, no other reason. If the dog doesn't race successfully it's no longer an income source but a financial liability ( no more doggy , how often do you see these dogs being offered as family pets ? ).

Last edited:
I'm not so sure the whole truth has been revealed with the greyhound racing industry. I think regulation could be tighter and cowboys forced out of the industry. But to ban things. I hate that word. I can't see this particular 'ban' sticking. Rub out the cruelty, but let's be fair on those involved within the industry that truly love their dogs.

K.O.N has a point, I'm guilty. At around 7 years old I should have reported it, recorded the footage on my I-phone for proof. Different era where people weren't so consumed about reporting bad practices. I can name multiple tracks in N.S.W where it doesn't occur so that in itself debunks this as being so widespread. My involvement covered 2 states so I was definitely out there enough to see the rogues. The figures came out of the Sydney Telegraph last week and another paper I read yesterday. The report they rely on the Government from memory won't even furnish yet for scrutiny. Have you been involved in the Greyhound racing industry K.O.N's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back